[Mb-hair] Gate HAIR report

richard haase hotprojects at nyc.rr.com
Sun Sep 25 12:15:20 PDT 2005

it sounds nasty
but
again i would say its a bad adaptation
not the fault of updating per se in principal

it sounds like the director at 26 had no idea
what hair was or what the 60s were etc

i think first of all for the updating to work it must be minimal
the extraneous insertion of ipods or S and M
or making white boys and black boys homosexual etc

or having the nude scene with mickey mick
etc
it all just sounds really bad

obviously i think aside from a few topical changes
and subtle changes in mis en scene
the script/book is perfectly contemporary as is etc

shame
it sounded like a courageous attempt at the gate
that went terribly wrong
shame