[Mb-hair] Hair We Are Again

richard haase hotprojects at nyc.rr.com
Mon Nov 14 07:03:37 PST 2005

he has though nina a little leeway by way of precedent
eg corresonding to the notion of " the law as usually enforced "
eg if the songs were used before in different contexts particularly
repeatedly and nothing was done
that might be construed as a tacit permission
of course we were working with jimmy gerry galt on everything
it cant be too radically different obviously
its very tangled
and nina brings up a particularly good pt\
about authors rights not being inclusive of all performance rights
yet both as of a given moment depending on circumstance
have to be satisfied
thats why michael butler advises me to stick to new projects instead of
revivals

as an experienced producer though
the way to circumvent if youre lucky
is to get the rights for a city such as san francisco detroit atlanta etc
large scale 1000+ venue non conventional location ( rented hall ; old
ballroom or whatver )
big enough to call in major media\
small enough not to set flags off
if you then have the penultimate production and its covered by major media
they will have to do business with you veritably
because yours will be the production everyone wants
eg this is what happened visa vi glenn close in the los angeles production
of sunset blvd
when patti lupone was all ready signed for nyc
glenn got hot and it didnt matter
they had to pay  patti off etc

similarly one who gets a hot production of hair covered by major media in
second city
would be in drivers seat as opposed to frankel et al
arguably
very tudor stewart political etc\

?