[Mb-hair] Re: HAiR in Africa

David Erickson bror.00 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 26 01:29:28 PDT 2005

Hi John,
Thanks for your kind note and all of the encouragement.

Quickly a few answers ...
1.  The show will be in English.  Trying to stage a musical in
community theatre is work enough without trying to translate the show!
 We will probably through in some local jokes which are always good
for a few laughs and helps to pull the audience in a little closer.

2.  Yes, typically when in Africa, SA = South Africa

3.  Arusha is a growing town and I would guess that there are at least
1000 or more Expats living in and around the area.  We have everything
from Safari Operators, Farmers, UN staff, other NGO's, Health Workers,
and the list goes on.  The reasons people have moved here are to
varied to even begin to touch on in this short e-mail!  The New Arusha
Players as a group is just a bunch of people who are into Performing
Arts and theatre and this is the kind of town where, if you want to do
something like this you just go and do it and if others are keen then
they pile on!

4.  While I have personally not seen the show on stage, from our
research it's pretty easy to tell that the DVD is no where close to
the stage performance and I don't think we are locked into that as our
model.  It was just something to see and to help spark ideas.
Besides, every time I mentioned the DVD people are more than ready to
remind us that the DVD is NOT the stage musical!

OK - hope that answers some of your questions.  We are still slowing
working our way through pre-production and once we get somewhere
interesting we'll post some pics and other fun stuff.

Best!
David