[Mb-civic] U.K. Institutes New Deportation Measures - Washington Post

William Swiggard swiggard at comcast.net
Fri Aug 5 06:10:24 PDT 2005

U.K. Institutes New Deportation Measures

By ED JOHNSON
The Associated Press
Friday, August 5, 2005; 8:37 AM

LONDON -- Foreigners who preach hatred, sponsor violence or belong to
extremist groups could be deported from Britain under strict new
measures that Prime Minister Tony Blair announced Friday, nearly a month
after suicide bombers killed 52 people on London's transit system.

Membership in extremist Islamic groups such as Hizb-ut-Tahrir would
become a crime under the new measures. The group, which advocates the
creation of an Islamic state in Central Asia, already is outlawed in
several countries.

Blair said the government also would compile a list of Web sites,
bookshops and centers that incite hatred and violence. British nationals
involved with such organizations could face strict penalties. Foreign
nationals could be deported, he said.

"They come here and they play by our rules and our way of life," Blair
said at his monthly news conference. "If they don't, they are going to
have to go."

<>The government would hold a one-month consultation on new grounds for
excluding and deporting people from the United Kingdom, he said.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/08/05/AR2005080500204.html?nav=hcmodule