[Mb-civic] Al Qaeda's No. 2 Blames Blair, Issues Warning - Washington Post

William Swiggard swiggard at comcast.net
Fri Aug 5 05:56:38 PDT 2005

<>Al Qaeda's No. 2 Blames Blair, Issues Warning
Security High for London Commuters

By Kevin Sullivan
Washington Post Foreign Service
Friday, August 5, 2005; Page A01

LONDON, Aug. 4 -- Al Qaeda's second-in-command said in a video statement
Thursday that the London transit bombings were retribution for British
military intervention in Muslim countries and warned of "more
destruction" if Britain doesn't withdraw. He also threatened new attacks
on Americans.

The statement from Ayman Zawahiri was issued on a day in which London
commuters rode trains and buses amid some of the tightest security since
World War II, due to fears of a repeat of the attacks of July 7 and 21.
No attack occurred. Instead, the four-week anniversary of the July 7
explosions brought the first statement clearly from al Qaeda about the
violence.

Prime Minister Tony Blair "has brought you destruction in central London
and, God willing, will bring more destruction," Zawahiri said,
addressing the "English people" in a statement broadcast on the
al-Jazeera satellite television channel.

<>"Our message to you is crystal clear: Your salvation will only come in
your withdrawal from our land, in stopping the robbing of our oil and
resources, and in stopping your support for the corrupt and corrupting
leaders."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/08/04/AR2005080400514.html?referrer=email