[Mb-civic] CNN Suspends Novak After He Walks Off Set - Washington Post

William Swiggard swiggard at comcast.net
Fri Aug 5 06:16:45 PDT 2005

CNN Suspends Novak After He Walks Off Set

By DAVID BAUDER
The Associated Press
Friday, August 5, 2005; 12:42 AM

NEW YORK -- CNN suspended commentator Robert Novak indefinitely after he
swore and walked off the set Thursday during a debate with Democratic
operative James Carville.

The live exchange during CNN's "Inside Politics" came during a
discussion of Florida's Senate campaign. CNN correspondent Ed Henry
noted when it was over that he had been about to ask Novak about his
role in the investigation of the leak of a CIA officer's identity.

A CNN spokeswoman, Edie Emery, called Novak's behavior "inexcusable and
unacceptable." Novak apologized to CNN, and CNN was apologizing to
viewers, she said.

"We've asked Mr. Novak to take some time off," she said.

A telephone message at Novak's office was not immediately returned Thursday.

Carville and Novak were both trying to speak while they were
handicapping the GOP candidacy of Katherine Harris. Novak said the
opposition of the Republican establishment in Florida might not be fatal
for her.

"Let me just finish, James, please," Novak continued. "I know you hate
to hear me, but you have to."

Carville, addressing the camera, said: "He's got to show these right
wingers that he's got a backbone, you know. It's why the Wall Street
Journal editorial page is watching you. Show 'em that you're tough."

"Well, I think that's bull---- and I hate that," Novak replied. "Just
let it go."

As moderator Henry stepped in to ask Carville a question, Novak walked
off the set.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/08/04/AR2005080401606.html?nav=hcmodule