[Mb-civic] Subsidy or surveillance: Too high a price

Cheeseburger maxfury at granderiver.net
Sat Aug 28 23:09:03 PDT 2004

Subsidy or surveillance: Too high a price

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/editorial_opinion/oped/articles/2004/08/28/subsidy_or_surveillance_too_high_a_price/

ON SEPT. 1, a new federal program will give Massachusetts hospitals $2
million to help pay costs of caring for uninsured patients who are not
citizens or lawful immigrants, so-called "undocumented" persons. In return
hospitals must ask about and report patients' legal status during emergency
department visits. This policy will only succeed in keeping people away
from needed care.

For example, many of our patients report that doctors in their home country
have falsified hospital reports to cover up government sponsored torture.
It has been reported that 20 percent of asylum seekers claim that a health
professional participated in torture. It is a challenge at times even to
convince patients that what they tell us is protected and confidential.

Cheeseburger

- Where has the sparrow gone now that I need its song.