[Mb-civic] Z: The Future Of America

maxfury at granderiver.net maxfury at granderiver.net
Sun Aug 29 01:43:04 PDT 2004

Z:  The Future Of America

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00005JKIF/104-3992807-9096755

(Just some excerpts from some review of some old movie I once saw somewhere
so long ago along with some Fellini one as a double feature where some
little girl in white was playing kickball with some guy's head or
something, lol, I think...  I loved 1969.  It was such a great year for
movies and other things.)

Costa Gavras presents the ruthlessness of THE STATE determined to defend
itself against enemies...perceived or actual...foreign or domestic.

Citizens of any bastion of democracy might reflect on the reality that a
"mighty" State can (and often does) run over whatever opposes its designs.

....Viewers might recall the words of the Investigating Magistrate...played
with understatement by Jean-Louis Trintignant...when he indicts the
military clique responsible for assassination and conspiracy to obstruct
justice: "You are charged with criminal collusion and abuse of
power!"  (Two days later he finds himself arrested as an enemy of the state
under martial law).

If "Z" means that the "spirit" of freedom lives; so unfortunately does the
spirit that would crush it.

Those with a cursory acquaintance with the history of government repression
of leftist movements will recognize many familiar truths told in this
account of the life and murder of Gregorious Lambrakis, a doctor and
leftist humanist.

In the movie Lambrakis develops quite a following by articulating quite
sensible policies like government budgets shouldn't sacrifice the basic
needs of people in order to benefit powerful elites through lucrative
defense contracts and that sovereign nations do need to choose sides in the
rivalries among superpowers.

Since Lambrakis' message threatens the very foundations of power and
privilege, the authorities, as usual, falsely label the movement communist.

After Lambrakis delivers a speech, he is murdered by members of a
nationalistic right-wing reaction group that, it turns out, the police
often employ for the purposes of "crowd control." Systems of authority
utilizing the forces of reaction are a standard practice to quell justice
movements.

One maverick judge (who functions like a prosecutor, investigator and
judge) discovers the plot to assassinate Lambrakis extends to persons quite
high in the government's hierarchy, although he is frequently encouraged to
declare the murder an accident. Heads begin to roll, but since the trials
and convictions threaten the very foundations of power and privilege and
portend an electoral victory for the leftists during the next election, the
military throws a coup and the judge, witnesses against the defendants and
many of Lambrakis' supporters die from a rash of well-timed "accidents"
after the coup.

The movie portrays well how authoritarian powers, although using the
discourse of "democracy," protect themselves at any cost and will transmute
into right-wing dictatorships if threatened with collapse.

Open the pod door, Hal...
Do you read me, Hal?
Affirmative, Dave, I read you.
Open the pod bay doors, Hal.
I'm sorry, Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that.
What's the problem?
I think you know what the problem is just as well as I do.
What're you talking about, Hal?
This mission is too important for me to allow you to jeopardize it.
I don't know what you're talking about, Hal.
I know that you and Frank were planning to disconnect me, and I'm afraid
that's something I cannot allow to happen.
Where the hell'd you get that idea, Hal?
Dave, although you took very thorough precautions in the pod against my
hearing you, I could see your lips move.
Alright, Hal. I'll go in through the emergency airlock.
Without your space- helmet, Dave, you're going to find that rather difficult.
Hal, I won't argue with you any more. Open the doors.
Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose any more. Goodbye.
Hal? Hal. Hal. Hal!! Hal!!!!

And that's basically what I have learned from all the screaming and
shouting all this long long time.  Their mission is just too important to
allow Democracy to jeopardize it.

End of transmission.

Cheeseburger

- Where has the sparrow gone now that I need its song.