[Mb-civic] A Planet Of Life

Ian ialterman at nyc.rr.com
Fri Aug 27 10:32:30 PDT 2004

Cheeseburger:

Thank you for your response.  I always find them enjoyable and stimulating.
A few comments.

You are correct that true faith cannot be accompanied by doubt.  I apologize
if it seemed that I was suggesting otherwise.  For myself, I have absolutely
no "doubt in faith."  I was merely making a comment based on "logic" and
"common sense" that ANYTHING any of us believe could be wrong.

Re your gambling metaphor, it is similar to "Pascal's Wager." A paraphrase
of that dilemma would be: "If God exists and one "believes," one gains all.
If God exists and one does NOT believe, one loses all.  If God does NOT
exist and one believes, nothing is lost.  If God does NOT exist and one does
NOT believe, nothing is lost.  Therefore, it is best to believe, since there
is no risk and great reward."  Of course, if God exists, He "knows" whether
your faith is genuine or simply the product of "hedging your bets," so this
wager is ultimately false.

Re the "spiritual" world, I was not suggesting that it did not include
"ghosts," but rather that it is far MORE than just "ghosts"; i.e., it is a
great deal "deeper" and "scarier" than movies like Poltergeist.

Nor was I suggesting that it is ONLY the Judeo-Christian construct that
includes this concept, or even that it originated with the Judeo-Christian
construct.

Re science, while it has certainly been used to generate "death and
suffering," it would be disingenuous to posit that it has not had many
benign and positive uses as well.  I believe the way of looking at this is:
any "neutral" thing (science, religion, art, etc.) can be used for either
"good" or "evil."  That does not change the fact that the central "idea" is
neutral.

As for "faith" and "religion," I totally agree with you.  Indeed, I think
you know that I have stated this ad nauseum.  "Religion is about laws and
behavior.  Faith is about a relationship with God (and, if you are
Christian, with Christ)."  There is a place for "religion" within "faith,"
but it is "faith" that is the more important of the two.  Indeed, the
emphasis on the former over the latter is the primary "apostasy" of the
mainstream churches.

Finally, re "science" and "faith," I do not entirely agree with your
analysis.  Indeed, as I noted in an earlier e-mail, almost all of the
greatest "scientists" - including Newton, Copernicus, Keppler, Leouwenhouk,
and, yes, even Darwin and Lyell - were men of faith.  Indeed, in the case of
Darwin and Lyell, it was their attempt to reconcile their faith with what
they saw in the "natural" world that led them to their research and
theories.  Even Einstein was not a hard-core atheist; he was more of an
agnostic.  And although he danced around it, many of his statements lead to
the conclusion that he believed in what we now call "intelligent design."

Even today - indeed, especially today - some of the most respected
scientists in the world in a wide variety of fields, some of whom are
atheists and some of whom are not, have made similar comments on the order
of: "The more we learn through science, the closer we come to the the heart
of the atom and the edge of the universe, the closer we come to proving the
existence of God."  In other words, science seems to be leading us to the
conclusion that, when it all comes down to it, the "perfection" of the
universe - from the quark, muon and neutrino to the black hole, pulsar and
quasar - could not have happened "by accident."

The Bible says the universe and everything in it was created in six days.
Science says a "big bang" occurred about 13 billion years ago.  The Bible
says man was created by God in a single act of creation.  Science says that
humankind evolved through "natural selection."  These concepts certainly
seem mutually exclusive.  And yet I reiterate that it is my belief that
these seemingly hopelessly divergent theories actually "overlap" - but that
we simply do not have the knowledge or understanding to see how and where.

Thus, I continue to believe that, despite their acrimonious relationship,
science and faith (via religion) serve each other more than they are willing
to accept.  Indeed, perhaps the very reason we lack the knowledge and
understanding of where these divergent theories overlap is BECAUSE of our
stubborn refusal to end the confrontational and combative relationship
between science and "God."

Anyway, that's my two cents worth.

Peace.

Thus, science and faith are NOT mutually exclusive.