[Mb-hair] ugh

Wm-A Gonzalez bgonzal at rci.rutgers.edu
Wed May 3 16:13:52 PDT 2006

When I was about 4 (I think the year was 1969), we visited my Great Aunt
out in LA.  During the vacation, my parents went to Vegas and saw HAiR
(for the 2nd time).  When they came home they gave me the program, as I
already loved the show from listening to the OBC recording, and wanted
to see the pictures.  I remember that one was of Berger in the
loincloth.  My cousin, who was 11 at the time, saw me with it and said,
"Ewww!  That's nasty!  That play is dirty!"  Her father agreed.  They
made me cry.

My mother consoled me by telling me to ignore them, because they didn't
know anything about HAiR or it's message of love.  My cousin was only
mimicking the attitude of her older, conservative parents (who chose not
to go see the show).  My mother said that I was the smart one because I
understood what HAiR was about, and that it was trying to teach peace.

Your professor seems to be of the same ilk - having ultra-conservative
knee-jerk reactions to anything that doesn't gel with her personal
beliefs.  You could respect her opinion if she had at least exposed
herself to HAiR in some way.

I hope you learn two very important things from a college education:

1) How to think for yourself.

2) Teachers/professors/authors/leaders/etc. are not always right.

Believe and live your life according to your own convictions.

-Bil Gonzalez