[Mb-hair] CSUN Hair

Garry Lennon garry.d.lennon at csun.edu
Thu Apr 6 15:22:16 PDT 2006

Hello all,

Just a quick update and a question - I'm hoping that I can capitalize on the
vast Hair knowledge to solve a mystery.

Things are going great, still very rough but moving along.  It's been
fascinating reading the emails on the list because I've been dealing with a
lot of issues regarding the material and whether or not to update.  I don't
remember who said it but they were right - Vietnam history to the vast
number of my students is like Egyptian history.  They know it happened but
don't necessarily understand how it shapes who they are today.  We haven't
updated it but the tribe and I have had many conversations linking events
from 1968 into events of today - I'm hoping to try reviving their sense of
activism, if I can.  One of my colleagues and I have a running argument
about how Vietnam/Iraqi, she sees absolutely no similarity.  But as a
teacher and director, I would feel irresponsible if Hair didn't connect to
these students' lives or at least their view of history.

It seems the biggest barrier has been getting them to be themselves onstage.
I have been quoted as saying "don't act groovy, just be groovy" which may be
silly but getting everyone to relax and stop ACTING has been a challenge.
Luckily, the sense of tribe is truly taking over and it's great to watch
them evolve.

My question revolves around a line that Claude says "And I am the Aluminum
Coxman and you'll eat me up, up, up."  Who or what is the "Aluminum Coxman"?

Again thanks for all the debate and comments about everything - it's really
helped me!

Peace,

Garry Lennon