[Mb-hair] Gate HAIR report

richard haase hotprojects at nyc.rr.com
Sun Sep 25 14:31:52 PDT 2005

i think robin that given the orientation of the average american i think
vietnam is unfortunately becoming as distant to the average 25 - 30 year old
as ancient egypt

i want the piece to survive vigorously
i am coming from a really good place

there are also forces having nothing to do with any
qualitative merits
that seem to be bent on burrying anything to do with the 60s or counter
culture etc
( i think probably these were factions who were out to get the show from the
beginning etc )
but given the rise of the far right
i think the slandering of the 60s cause and the counter culture subtly
undermines the potential receptivity of the public etc

am very concerned as someone who loves HAIR very deeply
that if the next major production is a fiasco
it will hurt the shows place so to speak
and i personally believe it is the greatest musical ever written
certainly what convinced me to be in the theater
what dictated my directing style in part etc

so i am deeply concerned
and my concerns are not without merit

but personally
i hope you are all right
i love hair
and would love to the 60s come back
and i love it as it is
but also i would out again
we updated it carefully and with great artistic prowess
in my production
and it worked
and was very true to the original
but was contemporary