[Mb-hair] HAIR at The Lyceum Space Theatre in San Diego.

Michael Butler michael at michaelbutler.com
Sun Sep 25 14:03:58 PDT 2005

Great luck, I went down to see it as Geoffrey Going, twice in HAIR, agreed
to go. So I had someone to share the drive.
We arrived late being lost in the maze of the shopping center with the worst
signage ever.
I did not want to be taken to a front row seat (something I really don¹t
like anyway) so I wound up sitting on the steps. Great memories of the
Biltmore where that was my favorite spot.
I am sure glad we went. It was a great show! Very true to the book and
music. The staging was very different in many scenes. Duane Daniels, the
Director, had never seen HAIR so he was completely on his own. He came up
with some novel solutions. If I could criticize anything some scenes would
be slightly over produced. Notwithstanding that mention I really enjoyed
them and the audience was wild with appreciation. Voices were very good and
a very attractive tribe.
For sure all involved really had the message of HAIR. It is great to see
these small local productions when they are good. They are such believers
and give us real hope.
This is the second local production (Asheville) I have seen this month and
both were worth effort. Shame they are not going on.
Peace and Love,
Michael