[Mb-hair] also it would be nice if people commenting on the60sactually remem

Little Birdie lbirdie at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 25 13:45:29 PDT 2005

Richard,

I am afraid I must disagree strongly with your assertion that those who
remember the sixties, or have seen the original production are more
qualified to speak on these issues. By that logic I, being older than you
and having seen the original production many more times than you, and having
even been in it way back when, would be more qualified than you to have an
opinion here. Obviously I do not have more of a right to my opinion than you
do - we all are qualified to speak to what makes Hair work for us. That
someone doesn't remember the sixties, or only remembers it slightly, does
not make their opinion any more or less valid than those who were there
then. I saw the original production hundreds of times  - eight times a week
when I worked as the concession girl. Does that make my opinion more
important? Does my having been in the show in 1973 make it even more so? In
my humble opinion it does not.

There is another point you make (in a different email, but I speak to it
here to conserve bandwidth) that I feel I must comment on. You say:

>i am not being hostile and i dont care for how whenever someone dissents it
>is interpreted as hostility

I truly do not agree with you that people here respond to any disagreement
by interpreting it as hostility. While I completely understand that you do
not feel that your way of dialoging is hostile, I know that this problem
comes up with such regularity that I hope you can come to accept that people
here do interpret your style of disagreement as hostile. I accept that you
do not feel that you were being hostile, but if you are going to be a member
of a group you have to find a way to respect the general values of that
group, whether you agree with them or not. So while I accept that you do not
feel that the way your disagree with people is hostile I would encourage you
to accept that in the general value system of this group your style of
writing feels hostile to many of us. There is no judgment inherent in this -
we are not wrong for feeling this, and you are not wrong for feeling you are
not hostile. But if you want to be a member of this group you will need to
communicate your thoughts in a way that isn't interpreted as argumentative
by the group. In certain cultures things that we wouldn't think twice about
doing are considered very rude. If you were traveling in a different culture
I would hope that you would make an effort to adapt your behavior to the
societal rules of that culture. Think of this as a situation like that. Even
if you feel that we are completely wrong to interpret you as hostile I
encourage you to write in a style that opens discussion instead of causing
argument.

I have made every effort to write about these things in a way that stresses
that this is only my opinion. Please note that I understand that you feel
you do nothing wrong in these situations. Please show me (and others) the
respect that I have tried to show you in this post. For instance: By all
means tell Jim why you feel it is better to update certain portions of Hair,
and allow him to tell you why he disagrees. But when you turn it into a
discussion of why your opinion is more valid than his that tends to be
interpreted as hostile, and I ask as the moderator here that you don't post
things like that.

Nina

The Hair Archives
http://www.michaelbutler.com/hair