[Mb-hair] Walter Michael Harris

Jim Burns jameshburns at webtv.net
Tue Sep 13 21:49:36 PDT 2005

How could I have possibly left Walter Michael Harris's name off that
list?

I must be stupified!

Particularly because, "What a Piece of Work Is Man," when I was growing
up, was always one of my Dad's favorite parts of the HAIR original cast
recording.

And probably some weird mind trick, because I've been meaning to write a
seperate entry about how spectacular the job Michael did Saturday night
was, seamlessly leading the gathered through the evenings role-call of
pleasures.

And the fact that he made it look effortless...  Well, that's the real
art of the grand em-cee, and host.

And I've now had the pleasure of seeing Michael act as moderator for two
very different sessions--the first, La Mama's tribute to his family. And
I'm sure helping to tell your family's story, WITH your family
there--all that Gotham theatrical history in one place, had to present
all of its own marvelous set of challenges.

But I'm betting there was an interesting bonus for Michael, as he played
the piano, Saturday night, for the gathered's reprise of so many HAIR
songs.

He was both the maestro, and the focal point, for all that marvelous
energy.

Best, Jim Burns