[Mb-hair] senior center

Little Birdie lbirdie at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 14 15:00:06 PST 2005

Yes, but this isn't Hair. Write something new - the idea of what has become
of the idealists and hippies of the sixties today is an interesting and
possibly commercial one. But make it a new show, with a new book and score.
Why take Hair and turn it into a new show? There are so many talented
writers and composers out there. Instead of reinventing Hair, express what
you're trying to say in a new project.

We all loved being involved with Hair, and it is natural to want to
recapture it all, but if you're reinventing Hair you would have to have the
involvement of the authors, as the London 2005 production did.

So, rather than this descending into our bi-monthly "update it/leave it
alone" discussion, I would love to hear people's thoughts on why there is
always so much interest in re-envisioning Hair in new contexts, when there
is so little interest in this for other musicals? Why do we never see such
totally changed productions of Hello Dolly, or West Side Story? Why does no
one ever want to produce a version of Fiddler or Chorus Line set in other
places or times? West Side Story is another show that is tied to it's times,
but still very relevant today, with the serious gang violence so prevalent
today. Why aren't we seeing lots of people proposing versions of WSS set in
the present day, addressing this? Personally I, as you all know, don't feel
that things need to be set in contemporary times for the audience to
understand the relevance to our current lives, so please understand that I
am not suggesting that WSS should be updated. Just wondering why this topic
is one that comes up so frequently with regard to Hair, but rarely with
other pieces.
Nina

The Hair Archives
http://www.michaelbutler.com/hair/holding/Hair.html