[Mb-hair] Hair We Are Again

Wm-A Gonzalez bgonzal at rci.rutgers.edu
Mon Nov 14 06:15:52 PST 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Paul Korda" <paul at paulkorda.com>
To: <mb-hair at islandlists.com>
Sent: Friday, November 11, 2005 3:18 PM
Subject: [Mb-hair] Hair We Are Again

> ... I would base the show around the tribe at
> a campfire, having grown older, reminiscing about various songs and
> re-enacting them... In the format of "Hair We Are Again" the rights
> problems would be minimal as re-doing an old song needs no permission.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think that this holds
true (in the US) for musical material for which someone (TAMS) already owns
the theatrical performance rights.  In fact, I believe that specific rights
need to be acquired to incorporate any copyrighted material into a new work
which will lead to financial gain.  My understanding is that you do not need
permission to record a published song, but you do still need to pay the
related royalties, and acknowledge existing copyrights.

-Bil Gonzalez