[Mb-hair] Bridgeport get together

Little Birdie lbirdie at hotmail.com
Sun May 22 10:06:48 PDT 2005

What an amazing night last night was! How incredible to see good friends,
and to “meet” others who have been friends for years but never seen in
person before! To get to hug Sib, Sally, Leo, Sherwin, Barbara, and Ross in
person, and to put faces to the writing and in some cases voices on the
phone, were all truly wonderful moments. To see, in addition, so many good
friends at the same time – Michael B, Robert, Debbie, Mike, Bill, Natalie,
Dale, Michael A, Jeff, Meredith – What a joy! There were many photographs
taken (a copy of every one to the Archives please folks! I can’t wait to see
them!) so there will be some to share soon.  I also got several generous
donations to the Archives, including photographs from the April 23 LaMama
event. I will post a few to the list as soon as I can scan them.

The show was good, but it paled in comparison to the reunion. There was so
much love in the room! After the show we walked a block to a local pub who’s
owners and lone waitress looked overwhelmed as all 27 of us walked in,
however they rose to the occasion, put many tables end to end and made us
one large table to gather around, catch up, and enjoy each others company.

There was a drama teacher at the show last night who teaches at Laguardia
High School for the Performing Arts in NYC. He is directing Hair there next
December and had seen the listing for Bridgeport Hair and gotten tickets for
himself and his wife. He recognized Michael B and introduced himself before
the show, and found himself stumbling into the midst of what he described as
the most amazing resource for research and support for his production that
he could possibly imagine. He and his wife were lovely people, and they
joined us for the party after the show. He shared with me that he was amazed
at how welcoming we all were, how willing to help support his production, to
share thoughts and ideas, to include them in our evening. I explained to him
that that was what Hair was all about. That he was just starting a journey
that we all had been through; that now he was part of the Tribe. He is
planning on joining the list in the near future, and looks forward to
hearing everyone’s thoughts and ideas regarding Hair in a high school
setting (albeit one with closer to professional level talent pool than most
other high schools). I am looking forward to seeing Hair done with actors
closer to the true ages of the characters, and with such a committed
director. It was the most perfect start to a production of Hair that I can
imagine!

I find myself at an unusual loss for words at trying to describe what a
special evening it was. Speak up others who were there – perhaps someone can
write a more eloquent report on the evening than I am managing.

I’ll close with one of my favorite lines of the evening. Looking very
pleased with her life a certain 13 year old said “My mother takes me to
productions of Hair the way other mother’s take their kids to Disney
movies.” I feel very lucky, as does she, that life affords me this wonderful
Tribe for her to grow up around. I can imagine no better influences than
those around her last night.

Save September 10th, 2005! We’ll do it all again, on a larger scale at
LaMama. Details coming as we know them…

Love, love, love,
Nina

The Hair Archives