[Mb-hair] HAIR - Visceral Connections

Michael Butler michael at michaelbutler.com
Thu Mar 31 14:33:24 PST 2005

HAIR - Visceral Connections

The public icons of HAIR are the authors, producer and director. One  can
discuss who was mother, father or midwife. In any case I am one of those and
need to speak up for my connection to HAIR.

HAIR has been seen by more people in more countries than probably any
musical. It is the most recorded musical in history, According to one source
in the 70's two thirds of the working American actors were in HAIR. Untold
numbers of people saw HAIR repeatedly, almost as if going to church. Back
stage, off stage, fans of all description have felt its influence. The
largest archive of any show exists for HAIR.

Every night somewhere in the world HAIR is being performed. Decades later it
still resonates. Why is this? Many have felt that HAIR is message from God.
They still feel that way. HAIR is about freedom. Freedom and Love are
synonymous. True Love wants all to be free. The messages of HAIR will never
go out of style. The staging or the design might change but what is says
will forever be true.

What has made this divine work happen and continue to feed the souls of so
many. It is not only the icons. It is the tribes who put HAIR together. The
people who have seen it and followed its course through a most difficult
time in our world know that they have been part of a wonderful experience.

I thank all who are involved and know that rarely have such a small group
had so much positive influence on so many.