[Mb-hair] Visceral connections

Jonathan Zenz zenzjay at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 30 13:15:32 PST 2005

I feel compelled to make an addition to this discussion.  I was born in
1973.

I played Berger last summer at the Knightsbridge Theatre in LA.  I was not
the "typical" Berger by any stretch of the imagination - I am no Ragni or
Williams.  What I did bring to the process was my own life experience.  I
don't claim to have a clear connection to what was happening in this country
in the late 60's but I know how I feel about what is happening now and that
knowledge and experience informed my work in the show.

I think that part of the power HAiR is that, although specific to a time and
place in the narrative, the themes are universal.  That is why the piece can
still effect audiences.  I would like to think that my work helped to make
the audiences that came to watch think about the relevance HAiR has to our
world today.  Those of you who saw the production would be able to speak
more accurately as to the experience from the audiences viewpoint.

I certainly feel a visceral connection with the work.  It is a show that
will inform my life forever - I will never be the same having had the
experience of creating and living with my Tribe.  I keep a placard on my
desk at my corporate 9 to 5 job that reminds me of the importance of the
experience.... it reads "Life is around you and in you.  Let the Sunshine
In"

Peace,
Jonathan Zenz