[Mb-hair] Visceral connections

Michael Arian michaeldavidarian at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 30 12:46:31 PST 2005

Hi Everybody-I want to throw my 2 cents into the mix.I spoke with Michael Weller shortly
after seeing the movie of Hair-which I enjoyed up until the famous switcharoo occured.He
told me how Foreman had proposed this project.He described two scenarios...boy from the
Mid-West gets drafted goes to NYC meets hippies falls in love etc goes to Viet Nam and
dies.Next-boy from the Mid-West gets drafted goes to NYC meets hippies falls in love etc
goes to boot camp and is replaced by hippie who accidentally goes to Viet Nam and
dies.One was about the stage script and the other was as it played in the movie.Michael
said that as Milos had described the two,the better conflict and tension was created by
the second description.Now I'm using my own words to describe what he told me.He said
there was no choice.Apparently Milos is good at describing and getting his own way.Also
BTW doing Hair today is as it always was-some people take the text as an acting
assignment some take it as a new gospel and some were born to be a part of it.It depends
on how they play it.You can be good with or without a deeply meaningful connection to the
material.We oldsters are not the only ones able to feel the inner life of this great and
moving piece of theater.XOX M

Michael David Arian
michaeldavidarian at yahoo.com
"If you can't say something nice about someone, sit by me."