[Mb-hair] On topicv/Off Topic

Little Birdie lbirdie at hotmail.com
Sun Jun 26 14:05:32 PDT 2005

Hi all -

The recent talk about on and off topic subjects led Michael and I to a
discussion earlier today about what should, or shouldn't, be talked about
here. What the purpose of the list is, or should be. The FAQ has info about
how to talk to each other, but not really about what to talk about. It
states in the first line “The Mb-Hair list is an email mailing list for the
purpose of discussing Hair, its politics, messages, and other related
subjects” which is pretty vague.

As is always the case with anything Hair we came back to the fact that we
needed to know what the Tribe wanted this space to be, so I am asking you
all to let me know, either here or at dayton3 at rcn.com what they think the
rules, if any, regarding what should be considered on topic here should be.
It seemed to us that there are two factions – one which would like the list
to be purely for discussion of  Hair, and perhaps some related subjects such
as theatre or the politics of Hair. The other sees this more as a communal
living room where The Tribe hangs out, and anything someone felt like
discussing would be OK. Let me be really clear here - neither of these
positions are wrong, just different, and we would like to know where people
stand on these positions, and what they would like this list to be.

Some of you have already spoken on this issue – Sib, Dagmar, Robin, Michael,
and Bill. Please feel free to speak up again if you feel so moved, but if
not I think I understand your “vote” already. The rest of you – I would like
to know. I look forward to hearing from you all - even the lurkers, please!
If you prefer privacy email me at dayton3 at rcn.com, but there are almost 70
of us here whether we all speak out or not, and I would truly like to have a
sense of what the majority wants, so lurkers – please de-lurk briefly or
privately.

My vote falls towards the livingroom side, with a heavy dose of the Hair
side included - I loved the Hair discussions on the old Hair list, and would
very much love to see many more of those here, but I also love the chance to
feel in touch with good friends, hear what they find interesting outside of
Hair, and about what's going on in their lives. I love it when Dagmar shares
her photos or Robin tells us about a gig he played, or Michael or Jim or
Richard discuss theatre. I guess, as Bill said, Hair is about so many things
that we can stretch most things into the fabric.

Just my 2 cents. I very much look forward to hearing all of yours!
Love,
Nina

The Hair Archives
http://www.michaelbutler.com/hair/holding/Hair.html