[Mb-hair] HAiR Thread

Little Birdie lbirdie at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 18 10:44:49 PDT 2005

Great question Sherwin!

I have heard several stories over the years as to the symbolism of the signs
in the Hair logo. I like the one that Michael mentioned. Earl Scott, Hair
official tarot card reader, and a very special person, always said that The
Magician was Michael's card in the tarot deck - that it represented him. As
Michael said there is great magic in Hair, and so it could be said that The
Magician is also Hair's card. It  was painted as a curtain that was used on
the second level of the tower set in many productions.  If one looks closely
at the card from the Waite Rider tarot deck (the deck that the tarot images
used in Hair came from) one sees that over the magician's head there is an
infinity sign and a roman numeral I (it is the first card in the major
arcana, one of the two sections of cards in a tarot deck (major arcana has
titled cards like The Lovers, The Magician, The Fool, The Sun, The Moon,
etc, minor arcana has 1 through King of the "suits" of a tarot card deck -
cups, wands, swords, pentacles - but this is probably more than you wanted
to know!)

So we have the numeral I and the infinity sign on The Magician tarot card,
Michael's card and Hair's card, which is also decorated on the top with
hanging vines, which image was used to create the marquee of the Biltmore
theatre. I attach two photos - one of the Magician card from the Waite Rider
deck, and also one of the Biltmore Theatre's Marquee during Hair's run.

To me personally the infinity sign has always meant that Hair would go on
forever. The I referred originally to the first, or Broadway, production.
Very briefly other productions had different numbers, which can occasionally
be seen on playbills (I think Chicago had a 2?) but fairly soon all the
companies used the logo with the I, regardless of what company they were.

There are other interpretations of the symbolism, and i would love to hear
what others had heard. Or better yet, what they interpret the symbolism as
being for them.

Love,
Nina

The Hair Archives