[Mb-hair] NPR, PBS vote TOMORROW -- help reach 400,000 signers

Noah T. Winer, MoveOn.org moveon-help at list.moveon.org
Wed Jun 15 11:44:00 PDT 2005

Dear MoveOn member,

In less than a day, we've blown past our goal--more than 300,000 of us
have signed the petition to save NPR and PBS from losing public funding.
This is huge, but we need your help.

Tomorrow, the House Appropriations Committee will decide whether to
approve these severe cuts to NPR and PBS. We can stop the cuts--and save
public TV and radio--with a strong show of public outrage. We'll report to
the committee members on our petition before they vote.

Can you help us reach 400,000 signers by the end of the day?

http://www.moveon.org/publicbroadcasting/?id=5665-72753-69ry8zmdABu6COkbfe28jg&t=1

Once you've signed the petition, please pass it along to friends, family
and neighbors who count on NPR and PBS. You can use the note below.

Thank you for all you do,

--Noah, Joan, Rosalyn, and the MoveOn.org Team
  Wednesday, June 15th, 2005

P.S. Here's a note to send your friends:

Hi,

You know that email petition that keeps circulating about how Congress is
slashing funding for NPR and PBS? Well, now it's actually true. (Really.
Check at the bottom if you don't believe me.)

Sign the petition telling Congress to save NPR and PBS:

http://www.moveon.org/publicbroadcasting/?t=2

A House panel has voted to eliminate all public funding for NPR and PBS, starting
with "Sesame Street," "Reading Rainbow," and other commercial-free
children's shows. If approved, this would be the most severe cut in the
history of public broadcasting, threatening to pull the plug on Big Bird,
Cookie Monster, and Oscar the Grouch.

The cuts would slash 25% of the federal funding this year--$100
million--and end funding altogether within two years. The loss could kill
beloved children's shows like "Clifford the Big Red Dog," "Arthur," and
"Postcards from Buster." Rural stations and those serving low-income
communities might not survive. Other stations would have to increase
corporate sponsorships.

The next vote on the cuts will take place tomorrow (Thursday). Help us
reach 400,000 signatures to be delivered to the committee members.

http://www.moveon.org/publicbroadcasting/?t=3

Thanks!

P.S. Read the Washington Post report on the threat to NPR and PBS at:

http://www.moveon.org/r?r=745