[Mb-hair] Re: Mb-hair Digest, Vol 8, Issue 14

Gibson Vendettuoli johnlenonomusic at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 15 09:58:55 PST 2005

> Message: 4
> Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 16:56:34 -0500
> From: "richard haase" <hotprojects at nyc.rr.com>
> Subject: Re: [Mb-hair] Long time,	no write...plus -- THE RETURN OF THE
> 	HAIR MUSEUM (minus	the stuff	that made others antsy)
> To: <mb-hair at islandlists.com>
>
> hello
> are you working with the frankel vertel group sir?
> richard haase in nyc
> director 1980 - 1981 off broadway revival

Nope, I'm a fourteen year old who the group has dealt with several times before. I've corresponded
electronically with Jim Rado, Galt MacDermot (or at least his relatives), Michael Butler, and
several of the original Tribe members in my effort to get HAIR back in the public eye (including
my HAIR Museum proposal, my HAIR film proposal, my HAIR in the Streets proposal, my HAIR reunion
proposals, etc.). Sure, it's rankled a few people, but I have made my presence known well before.

I regret that the planned Liberty Tour with Mr. Butler did not get off the ground (and frankly, I
wanted to see the Weissler-produced tour Jim tried to get going back in 1999 or 2000 or
whereabouts when the Reprise! and Encores! concerts happened, which would have had Lenny Kravitz
-- I still remember the gossip on the jabberwocky list about it), but I must say that Richard
Frankel must have one less screw loose somewhere if he's picked HAIR to tour. And Jim's involved
in the production, which (I've heard) will use all his revisions. That's alright with me, as long
as there's a companion book published containing the new script (not that I would buy one for any
ulterior motive..I'm SERIOUS...why are you all loooking at me?! LOL). A reprint of the paperback
will be anything but a good merchandising ploy and it's best that people see the show in new form.

There ends my long answer. Hopefully, you figured it out, 'cause I sure as hell didn't. Oh, well.

And, by the by, from another message:

> so nina did i tell you im doing GODSPELL with an all star cast in harlem;
> directing with tom ohorgan starring ben vereen, shirley caesar, rain pryor,
> melba moore? ( in a 2000 seat+ venue )? god willing
>
> could you raise any money for that?
> lol and not lol

I know a lot about GODSPELL, in fact I know you guys are experienced directors, but I'm a GODSPELL
expert and I could help you pull this off like no problem. If you need any suggestions, any at
all, e-mail me, I'll give you my cell number and we'll talk. I have the script (LEGALLY obtained,
I swear!), several cast recordings, the movie, those two Camera Three videos about it called "The
Parables of Godspell" and "The Filming of Godspell," and much, much more GODSPELL memorabilia.

One thing I'll say, though, is that a 2000+ seat venue is not the right venue for a production
like GODSPELL. Sure, this one has Ben Vereen, Shirley Caesar, Rain Pryor, and Melba Moore among
its cast, but no matter how big the star, GODSPELL should be done in an intimate manner, the way
it's always been done. I could go on for hours and hours about this, but then again, it's your
show. You can take my suggestions or not, but I'm still interested in helping out, in some way.

In fact, the composer Stephen Schwartz wrote very specific director's notes to go with the script
(which I only have the introduction of, unfortunately) that help outline how the production should
be done. Try to adhere to those, even if this is being done in a concert setting, and good luck.