[Mb-hair] La MaMa

William Swiggard swiggard at comcast.net
Sun Apr 24 18:17:04 PDT 2005

I have to add a few words to the reviews by Michael, Nina and Richard.
This event was astounding.

We learned many, many things - but for me, the most important chunk of
material was about HAIR's birth and birth pains, and its heritage from
La Mama. Gerry and Jim saw "Futz" there just as they were finishing the
script, and they were floored. At one point Sally Kirkland rode a 400
pound pig onstage in the altogether.  But it was Tom's style that made
them decide that this had to be the director for their show. What they
loved the most about "Futz" was the way Tom fused acting with dance,
yoga, acrobatics and circus stunts.  Also the blast of revolution and
rebellion that rolled over the audience, pouring out of a troupe of
actors who had been transformed into a family that breathed together -
by doing weeks of sensitivity exercises, structured and free movement,
improvisation and setting all those around him on fire with his
commitment to nothing short of changing the world. Sound familiar?

Tom in turn gave credit to what he learned from Jerzy Grotowski.  Gerry
and Jim first approached Tom to direct the First Incarnation of Hair at
the Public, but Tom was committed to a tour in Europe with his repertory
troupe.  He returned after the show moved,  from the Public Theater to
the Cheetah, with Michael as co-producer with Joe Papp. The rest is, as
ya know, history... This was just one of about twenty such stories that
were told.  The group sing was truly spontaneous: none of us knew we
were going to be asked up onstage, much less asked to sing together.
Somehow, after nearly 40 years, the sense memory of singing those songs
took over and we managed to remember even the harmonies...Wow.

The spirit of HAIR is very much alive in all of us, and when more than a
few of us get together, it takes over with amazing force, like being
swept up my a wave.

Thank goodness it was all taped.  Hopefully we will find a way to share
the tapes with the Tribe at large.

I hereby officially second Nina's idea to put together a large scale
reunion, perhaps for the 40th anniversary of the Broadway opening, at La
Mama.  It was fabulous seeing Debbie, Mike, Ian, Richard, Jeff Lunger,
Robert Rubinsky, Dale Soules, Nat Mosco and I'm sure I am leaving a ton
of names out.  The Tribe at large is way overdue for a big reunion now
that the Web has put us all back in contact.  Let's do it!

A zillion thanks to Michael for inviting us to this, and for sharing the
spotlight in such a generous and gracious way.

Peace, Love, Liberty, Happiness -
Bill
PS - did anybody else notice that Tom's cane was also a beautifully
carved wooden flute?  Details, please...