[Mb-hair] La MaMa

Michael Butler michael at michaelbutler.com
Sun Apr 24 11:14:45 PDT 2005

Well, it was a super experience.
When Chris Kapp asked me to do this I had to accept. Anything for Ellen
Stewart is a 'command performance'. I did begin to freak out when I realized
that it would be 2 hours of me alone dealing with theatre subjects.
I then suggested to ask Tom, Jim and Galt. When that was Ok'd I put forth
several names of tribe members I knew of in NYC. Further, upon going to see
HAIR in Bridgeport I leaned on Nina and her Archive Gang of Annie, Trevor,
Bill and Rob. Debbie and Michael joined them. Natalie, Robert I and Richard
H decided to come. They began to speak to others. Organic growth was
happening.
Tom and Mark with new dog Ori arrived. Jim showed up. We missed Galt who was
Staten Island bound.
Ellen was not well and could not come downstairs for the interview. Chris
found Sally Kirkland who has great history with Tom, LaMaMa and HAIR to
start us off. She did a great job, many anecdotes and many laughs. A real
warm up act. Jim made some good observations and comments. He was
particularly good in the Q&A. I talked of my social political reasons for
getting into HAIR. The star of the evening was Tom who really taught us much
in his comments about theatre of the period.
Jim and Bill polished off the singing when everyone followed Marjorie and
joined in.
Final cap was when Jim, Tom and I went upstairs to see that lovely lady,
LaMaMa.