[Mb-hair] Re: A Few Questions

Leo peacefreak at metrocast.net
Thu Apr 14 15:52:29 PDT 2005

Guess I'll briefly toss in my 2 coppers worth Joe. In the 3 times I've
directed HAIR I've never been able to get a black brother to even audition.
And man it wasn't for a lack of trying. I sent out audition notices to all
colleges in the area, to a coupla African American churches in Portland, to
the NAACP, and to an organization here in Maine that is exclusive to African
American performers (the name eludes me at the moment) and audition notices
also went out to every theater list and publication of which I'm a member. I
live in Maine and we certainly aren't overly loaded with black brothers &
sisters but Portland is just up the road (about 40 minutes) and they have a
large contingency of African Americans; it just didn't work out for me. The
best I did one year was to get 2 black sisters in the tribe and the other 2
years I had only 1 black sister. She played Hud and took all the appropriate
lines (eg. "black & white go nice together...."). It wasn't the best case
scenario, but it worked. So there's your gender switch! And 2 of the 3 years
I directed HAIR I had a tribe of 14. As long as you have a lotta love, much
camaraderie, and a kick ass band you won't go wrong.

PEACE,
Leo