[Mb-hair] Request from the List Mama

Little Birdie lbirdie at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 1 13:40:01 PST 2005

Corinne wrote:

>PS  Again why does everyone repeat everyone elses' posts?  Makes it hard
>to follow the thread, and get to the new stuff.  Wish you would quit it.

Corinne raises an important point in mailing list etiquette that I think
bears a section in the FAQ. Those of you who receive the list in Digest
format know what she means, but for those of you who receive the list in
regular format let me explain. When one gets the list in digest format the
posts all come in one (or occasionally two) long emails. The posts are just
stacked one on top of the next in a long email, and one scrolls down to read
through them. Therefore, when you leave the entire post you are replying to
visible in your reply, the person reading in digest has to scroll down
through the quoted post below your response in order to get to the next post
in the email. In a thread where many people respond to the same post, such
as in the recent thread called visceral connections, the digest reader may
have to go through the same original post many, many times. So it is not
considered the best mailing list etiquette to leave the entire post you are
responding to below your responding post.

Conversely, the opposite is also not good netiquette - deleting the entire
post you are responding to, as someone who missed the original post will not
know what you are responding to.

Therefore we request (and this is just a request, but one that all the
digest members will thank you for following) that when responding to a post
you do so the way I have done this post: namely quoting the relevant lines
that are being responded to at the top of your post and then responding
below and deleting all other parts of the original post, as I did with most
of Corinne's post. Thanks to those who are already doing this.

Nina

The Hair Archives
http://www.michaelbutler.com/hair/holding/Hair.html