[Mb-hair] HAIR's "moon oysters"

Sibley Smith sjsmith at njvvmf.org
Thu Dec 23 10:22:20 PST 2004

Yo, fellow HAIR-heads,

Many moon ago (like around September of 1999), there was discussion on the Jabberwocky HAIR List regarding a reference to "moon oysters" in HAIR's script.

Well, I must've chimed in with something (no doubt, stuff off the cuff), because back in September of THIS year, 2004, a college student involved in a production of HAIR, sent me a query about the topic.  Unfortunately, I'd started on my walkabout at about that time, so I never noticed her e-mail until earlier this week (late December 2004).

Here's what she wrote:

> hello.
>   my name is jennifer hodges and i am a student at the university of miami
in coral gables, florida.  i am this semester's prop designer for our
on-campus production of hair.  i was searching the web trying desperately to
find out what the heck moon oysters are when i  came upon your posts from
1999 regarding the same thing.  i was wondering if you ever found out what
they were and if so, could you explain them to me and where you found them?
if you never discovered what these mysterious things are, what did you use
as a substitute?  thanks a bunch.
> ~jenn

... Well, I reckon we're a tad too late to help out in time for the run of the show (sorry, Jenn), but, I wonder if we might restart this discussion amongst ourselves, for our own edification, as well as for that of anyone else looking for just such answers to HAIR's mysteries.

Please remind me (those of you in the know), what is the precise context of the mentioning of "moon oysters" in HAIR?

I think the general consensus (all based on guesses) at last discussion was that "moon oysters" was like a code word for something else other than actual, biological oysters -- you know, like calling a joint a "glow worm."

Could it have possibly been referring to real oysters? -- servable "on the half shell" for tasty (and some say sexually empowering) consumption?

A word search online brought these two references:

"Full of iodine, phosphorus and trace elements, oysters are stimulants and have always been a symbol of femininity. It is said that at the time of the full moon, oysters secrete an aphrodisiac hormone - [...]."  (http://www.angieskitchen.com/)
"It has also been shown that many animals can even sense the magnetic changes in the atmosphere induced by the moon. Oysters enclosed in a light tight box still open and close with the moon cycle.' (http://www.quantum-world.co.uk/information/art_reactivity.asp)

So, could "moon oysters" refer to an aphrodisiastical delicasy, special edible oysters only available during a full moon?

So, if you've got the script, will you please transcribe for me that portion where "moon oysters" are mentioned, so I (we) can consider the context?

Thanks.

"Look at the Moon!  Look at the Moon!"

--Tioga