[Mb-hair] Re: A Message from Michael Butler

Walter Michael Harris wmichaelharris at earthlink.net
Fri Aug 13 15:58:06 PDT 2004

Michael,

Your "tent tour" plan for HAIR was inspired, timely and visionary.
 Having come to know you much better in the last three years than in the
last thirty, I feel your frustration and share your heartbreak.

Well all share the feeling that if there was ever a time for HAIR it's
now, with the country run by lunatics and the world in disarray.  It's a
complete mystery to me why Jim and/or Galt would take such a stance with
you, the founder of their feast.  I feel bad when I consider how much of
your heart, time and effort has gone into the planning and re-planning
of this project over the last ten years, and how much money and
opportunity has been lost.

But life has taught me there is more to the seen than to the unseen.
 Perhaps the derailment of this tour could be a blessing in disguise for
you in ways we can't know.  When I lost my leg, not long after leaving
HAIR in 1969, I felt my life had taken a major turn for the worse.  It
wasn't until years later that I understood how the twists and turns of
serendipidy, positive and seemingly negative, that attended this
negative and debilitating experience, ultimately led me to Patty (my
wife), her kids, and the life I enjoy now.

Were it not for the events that followed in the wake of losing my leg, I
don't believe I would be in this happiest of circumstances.

Not a perfect analogy - I know.  But take comfort from the thousands of
millions souls that HAIR inspired - and lives transformed - because of
your initiative all those years ago and since.  I'm one of them, and
forever grateful to you.

You know very well that when you're trying to do something, and one
obstacle after another gets in the way and it feels like you're swimming
upstream, it's time to cut your losses and set your sights on a new
direction.  Not to go biblical on you, but as the book says, shake the
dust off of your feet.  Don't let this shake your knightly spirit.

Yours in rising above,

WMH

***