[Mb-civic] EXCELLENT: The Planet of Unreality - Eugene Robinson - Washington Post Op-Ed

William Swiggard swiggard at comcast.net
Tue Mar 21 03:52:32 PST 2006

The Planet of Unreality

By Eugene Robinson
The Washington Post
Tuesday, March 21, 2006; A17

This is not good. The people running this country sound convinced that
reality is whatever they say it is. And if they've actually strayed into
the realm of genuine self-delusion -- if they actually believe the
fantasies they're spinning about the bloody mess they've made in Iraq
over the past three years -- then things are even worse than I thought.

Here is reality: The Bush administration's handpicked interim Iraqi
prime minister, Ayad Allawi, told the BBC on Sunday, "We are losing each
day an average of 50 to 60 people throughout the country, if not more.
If this is not civil war, then God knows what civil war is. Iraq is in
the middle of a crisis. Maybe we have not reached the point of no return
yet, but we are moving towards this point. . . . We are in a terrible
civil conflict now."

Here is self-delusion: Dick Cheney went on "Face the Nation" a few hours
later and said he disagreed with Allawi -- who, by the way, is a tad
closer to the action than the quail-hunting veep. There's no civil war,
Cheney insisted. Move along, nothing to see here, pay no attention to
those suicide bombings and death-squad murders. As an aside, Cheney
insisted that his earlier forays into the Twilight Zone -- U.S. troops
would be greeted as liberators, the insurgency is in its "last throes"
-- were "basically accurate and reflect reality."

Maybe on his home planet.

Donald Rumsfeld, meanwhile, was busy on The Post's op-ed page, abusing
history. Leaving Iraq now, he wrote, "would be the modern equivalent of
handing postwar Germany back to the Nazis." The bizarre analogy was
immediately disputed by foreign policy sages Henry Kissinger (who noted
that there was "no significant resistance movement" in Germany after
World War II) and Zbigniew Brzezinski (who just called the comparison
"absolutely crazy'').

George W. Bush, who speaks as if he has ascended to an even higher plane
of unreality, marked the third anniversary of the invasion Sunday by
touting a "strategy that will lead to victory in Iraq." I know that
"victory" is a word that focus groups love, but did anyone else hear an
echo of Richard Nixon's "secret plan" to end the war in Vietnam? Does
anyone else remember that there was no "secret plan''?

It's reprehensible when our highest elected officials act cynically, as
I believe this administration has done -- Bush, Cheney, Rumsfeld and the
rest knew the evidence for weapons of mass destruction in Iraq was less
than conclusive, but they hyped it anyway to build support for an
invasion they were determined to launch. It's dangerous when our leaders
act cluelessly, and the Bush White House has done plenty of that as well
-- experts who called for a much bigger invasion force were silenced and
shoved aside, assurances that Iraqi oil revenue would defray U.S. costs
turned out to be a sick joke, and there was no effective plan to get the
electricity turned on, much less deal with thousands of insurgents.

But cynicism and cluelessness are one thing. Actually being divorced
from reality is another. Do Bush et al. really see only the democratic
process they have installed in Iraq and not the bitter sectarian
conflict that process has been unable to quell? Do they realize that
whatever happens, there's not going to be a neat package, tied up with a
bow, labeled "victory" -- certainly in the 34 months (but who's
counting?) that the Bush administration has left in office?

Rumsfeld, I think, gets it. "History is a bigger picture, and it takes
some time and perspective to measure accurately," he wrote in his op-ed
piece, the whole tone of which reminded me of Fidel Castro's famous
declaration as he was being jailed after his first, failed attempt at
revolution: "History will absolve me." Condoleezza Rice seems to get it,
too, telling Australians the other day that "beyond my lifetime" people
would appreciate what the administration had done for the Middle East.

But what about the two men at the top?

Cheney lamented this weekend that "what's newsworthy is the car bomb in
Baghdad," and "not all the work that went on that day in 15 other
provinces in terms of making progress towards rebuilding Iraq."
Yesterday Bush recounted a successful anti-insurgent operation in one
town, calling it a good-news story that people wouldn't see in their
newspapers or on their television screens.

Fine, blaming the media is a time-honored tactic. I just hope they're
being cynical about it. I hope they don't really believe the nonsense
they're trying to sell.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/03/20/AR2006032001417.html