[Mb-civic] Fighting Smarter In Iraq - David Ignatius - Washington Post Op-Ed

William Swiggard swiggard at comcast.net
Sat Mar 18 05:13:14 PST 2006

Fighting Smarter In Iraq

By David Ignatius
The Washington Post
Friday, March 17, 2006; A19

BAGHDAD -- Three years on, the U.S. military is finally becoming adept
at fighting a counterinsurgency war in Iraq. Sadly, these are precisely
the skills that should have been mastered before America launched its
invasion in March 2003. It may prove one of the costliest lessons in the
history of modern warfare.

I had a chance to see the new counterinsurgency doctrine in practice
here this week. U.S. troops are handing off to the Iraqi army a growing
share of the security burden. As the Iraqis step up, the Americans are
stepping back into a training and advisory role. This is the way it
should have happened from the beginning.

A brutal stress test came on Feb. 22, when Sunni insurgents destroyed a
revered Shiite mosque in Samarra. For a moment, Iraq seemed to be
slipping toward civil war, but the Iraqi army performed surprisingly
well. In many areas Iraqi forces -- backed up by overwhelming U.S.
firepower -- helped restore order. "You never know the tipping point
until you're past it," says Gen. George Casey, the commander of American
forces here. With many other U.S. and Iraqi officials, he hopes Samarra
may have been such a tipping point, for the better.

Iraq is still a mess. Traveling over Baghdad by Black Hawk helicopter,
you can see piles of fetid trash on nearly every block and pools of raw
sewage glinting in the sun. Car bombs and roadside explosions are still
a daily feature of life, and the death toll remains horrific, especially
for Iraqi civilians. But it would be a mistake to think that nothing is
changing. The country is fragile, but it hasn't splintered apart.

I visited two bases where you can see the new U.S. strategy begin to
take hold. The first was at Taji, straddling the Tigris River north of
Baghdad, where the American 4th Infantry Division is gradually handing
off responsibility to Iraqi units. After the Samarra bombing, enraged
Shiites killed two Sunni clerics, and there was a danger that the
reprisal killings could escalate.

Tensions eased after an Iraqi brigade commander, a Shiite, rolled his
armored vehicles into the Sunni stronghold of Tarmiya and told local
imams that his men would protect their mosques against Shiite attacks --
and that in return, they must control Sunni militants. "He laid down the
law," remembers Col. Jim Pasquarette, who commands U.S. forces in the
area. The crisis gradually eased there, with U.S. forces mostly
remaining in the background.

"This is the hardest thing I've ever done," Pasquarette says of the new
rules of counterinsurgency. "In the old days, it was black and white --
see a guy and shoot him. But counterinsurgency is a thinking man's
sport. Every decision you make, you have to step back and say, 'What's
the next thing that's going to happen?' " He says he drills his troops
to remember the "three P's" of the new Iraqi battlefield: "be polite, be
professional, be prepared to kill."

The town of Abu Ghraib, just west of Baghdad, faced a similar test after
Samarra. The area is almost entirely Sunni; the Iraqi army unit that has
responsibility there is largely Shiite. That sounds like a recipe for
disaster, but the Iraqi brigade commander, a feisty Shiite from southern
Iraq named Gen. Aziz, is making it work. After the Samarra explosion,
Aziz told me, he convened a meeting with local tribal and religious leaders.

"I am responsible for your safety," he admonished them. "The law should
protect us all. There are no militias in this area." He told the local
leaders they could protect their homes and mosques, but if he found
anyone carrying weapons on the streets, he would kill him. The message
seemed to work. A fiery local Sunni imam told his worshipers last Friday
they should try to live with their neighbors.

Inside his headquarters, Aziz showed me a video of a suicide bomb that
nearly killed him and his American adviser, Lt. Col. Mark Samson, two
weeks ago. "He has the blood of my soldiers on his uniform," he says
respectfully of the American. Outside Aziz's office is what he calls a
"martyr tree," listing the names of the 22 men in his brigade who have
died. "There can be only one hero in Iraq -- the army," he tells me.

I wouldn't pretend that these two snapshots are an accurate
representation of the whole of Iraq. If that were so, the country
wouldn't be in such a mess. But this is the way this war is supposed to
be going. It's a few years late, but the new U.S. strategy is moving in
the right direction.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/03/16/AR2006031601308.html