[Mb-civic] New Blackface, Same Old Song - Jabari Asim - Washington Post Op-Ed

William Swiggard swiggard at comcast.net
Sat Mar 18 05:09:59 PST 2006

New Blackface, Same Old Song

By Jabari Asim
The Washington Post
Friday, March 17, 2006; 7:45 PM

WASHINGTON -- "Black up some white folks and they could deceive a
resident of Benin," George S. Schuyler dryly observed in "Black No
More," his classic satire of race relations.

Schuyler, who began hurling rhetorical brickbats during the Harlem
Renaissance, continued tossing them almost until his death in 1977. An
expert at poking holes in all manner of American obsessions, he used his
novel to expose the flimsiness of our ideas about physical differences
between blacks and whites.

"When you consider that less than 20 percent of our Negroes are without
Caucasian ancestry and that close to 30 percent have American Indian
ancestry," he argued, "there cannot be the wide difference in Caucasian
and Afro-American facial characteristics that most people imagine."

Schuyler came up with his estimates long before such things as DNA
testing, so I can't vouch for his numbers. But I see his point. It makes
me wonder what he would make of stunts such as "Black. White.", the
miniseries currently airing on FX.

In the six-episode series, a black family, the Starks, trade racial
identities with a white family, the Wurgel-Marcotullis. After "Trading
Places" and "Trading Spouses," reality-TV programmers may very well be
running out of ideas.

Some critics have raved over the transformations both families endured,
but I can't see them fooling any residents of the African country of
Benin. To my jaded eyes they look no more convincing than those
odd-looking folks in the famous "race" issue of Colors magazine. In a
much-discussed photo feature called "What If," the editors used digital
tricks to paint Arnold Schwarzenegger brown, Spike Lee white, as part of
a package of celebrity makeovers. The issue, while puckishly designed,
also asked serious, provocative questions: "What is the difference
between black, white and in between? We know everyone's blood looks the
same. But what about hair, eyes, noses and earwax? Why do people have
painful surgery to look more 'white'?"

"Black. White." seldom digs as deep. While the cast members' makeovers
seem to work when they meet unsuspecting folks on the street, those
encounters often risk perpetuating stereotypes instead of eliminating
them. What's more, rather than forcing us to confront our own
misperceptions, the show lets us off the hook by allowing us to pass
judgment on the unsuspecting people whose prejudices are brought to
light. Viewers can take comfort from being party to the deception.

In contrast, the Wooster Group, a New York experimental theater troupe,
makes no attempt to fool anyone. Their revival of Eugene O'Neill's "The
Emperor Jones," about a black American railroad porter who becomes the
dictator of a fictional island nation, features a Caucasian actress in
the title role. In blackface.

The show is going over well among the artsy Lower East Side crowd, a
bunch not likely to include many black faces. Real ones, I mean.

One New York reviewer called the lead performance "riveting, haunting,
altogether astonishing." I haven't seen the play. I have only seen a
photograph of the central character ingloriously splashed across a
newspaper page, cavorting in all her burnt-cork exuberance. Of course,
the picture can't provide the context necessary to appreciate the merits
of her performance, but as a snapshot it looks lurid, nightmarish and
altogether revolting. When compared with the subtle, unthreatening
shape-shifting made possible by Hollywood latex or digital photography,
a thick slather of shoe polish achieves only a decidedly
stomach-churning effect.

There's too much history in those layers of lampblack, a coating no
performer can put on without conjuring up the ghosts of minstrels long
gone, from Jim Crow and Zip Coon to Bert Williams and Al Jolson. The
very first minstrel show probably occurred in 1843, in New York City.
Within a year it became the most popular form of live entertainment in
America. In his book "Blackface, White Noise: Jewish Immigrants in the
Hollywood Melting Pot," Michael Rogin, notes that "blackface provided
the new country (the United States in the 1800s) with a distinctive
national identity in the age of slavery."

Because I know the Wooster Group knows all that, I figure that its
decision to cast a white woman as a garish caricature of a black man
derives from some ironic sensibility far more sophisticated than my own.
To illuminate that sensibility would probably require a contrarian wit
on the level of George Schuyler. Who knows, I might have to go all the
way to Benin for that.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/blog/2006/03/17/BL2006031701721.html