[Mb-civic] Extreme Jan 1

Ian ialterman at nyc.rr.com
Wed Jan 11 19:24:35 PST 2006

Kevin:

Could it be that I actually agree with 99% of what you have written here?!
(LOL)

"Dumbed down" America, indeed: a recent national poll indicates that almost
50% of Americans think its OKAY for the NSA to spy on Americans!

"Stop waving that god damn piece of paper at me," said Bush.  He also said,
"This country would be alot easier to run if it were a dictatorship."
Hmmm...

You say, "All extremes at some point need to be met with extremes to counter
the effect."  This is called the "rubber band" effect: when you pull a
rubber band all the way to one side and let it go, it shoots back to the
other extreme side before coming to rest in the middle.  And it is sad, but
true, re the current socio-political situation in the U.S.: we may need to
pull the rubber band all the way to the other side in order to get it to
land somewhere in the center.

You quote Goebbels re the (ab)use of media.  You might also cite Orwell, who
went even further and said that, in order to gain and maintain power, all a
government has to do is control the "language and symbolism"; i.e., symbols
are manipulated, language - not just as propaganda, but simply as "spoken"
and written - becomes a tool, and perception becomes truth.  Ultimately,
though, Orwell suggested (correctly, as we have certainly seen here in the
U.S. since 9/11) that TRUE control comes through fear - and the continual
manipulation of that fear.  (Color-coded terror charts, anyone?)

Re "Patriots do not seek truth - they follow and listen," I think you mean
"nationalists"; although it is true that Samuel Johnson said that
"patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel," patriotism is actually, by
definition, "love of country" - with which there is nothing wrong, until it
turns into "nationalism," which is a form of zealotry, bigotry and
arrogance.

Finally, regarding the separation of church and state, keep in mind that the
idea of the "Founding Fathers" was not freedom FROM religion, but freedom OF
religion.  In this regard, Michael is correct that, technically, the
separation of church and state was created to prevent the STATE (in the case
of the founding fathers, they were referring to the King) from controlling
the CHURCH - as was the case in England at the time.

Still, as Michael also points out, whether it is the state controlling
religion - and, more to the Constitutional point, ESTABLISHING one
particular religion over another or all others - or religion (in this case,
the so-called Christian Right) controlling the State, "Histories tell some
very bad stories in either case."  They are almost certainly going to tell
one about the Bush Administration.

Peace!