[Mb-civic] Re: Debate Over Faith

Patrick Hunter hunter at sopris.net
Tue Jan 10 11:54:05 PST 2006

Hi Michael,

Human behaviors, such as religion and worship, are rooted in our genetic
make-up.  Our genes are the result of thousands of years of evolution and
adaptation to the realities of existence.  Humans that followed religions
proved to be successful and passed on their genes.  Humans with these traits
persevered because groups succeeded where individuals could not.  Thinking
beings were more successful when they could point to reasons for the
otherwise unexplainable world they found themselves in. (Less anxiety and
stress, therefore better health and longevity.)

Religious obediance and support of your group's political leadership have a
lot in common.  Going it alone is very hard, and not as successful.  Better
to fit in with the group and to follow your leaders.

If science could ever truly discover the "meaning of life", things might
evolve.  (Will that be allowed?)  There may someday be an option to
deactivate the religion genes.  What a battle that will be.

Debating religion is trading one theory of the supernatural for another.
None of it is rational or factional.  It may be useful for mental exercise,
but so are crossword puzzles.

Best regards,
Pat Hunter