[Mb-civic] The Great Mystery: An Indigenous Perspective by Scott Barta]

Alittlehawk at aol.com Alittlehawk at aol.com
Fri Jan 6 08:58:47 PST 2006

 The Great Mystery An Indigenous Perspective

 The ongoing discussion regarding “atheism, intelligent design, evolution,
creationism” appearing in the Opinion page in recent December and January
Northwest Arkansas Times issues reads very interesting. Being from northwest Iowa,
visiting a good friend in Fayetteville during the “holiday” break, I rarely
get a chance to see such dialogue, as the newspaper in my hometown seems too ‘
conservative’ to even print such discourse.

 I thought it possible to bring a little ‘Indigenous thought’ into the
discussion, facts which are for the most part unknown, unavailable to most, or
ignored. For most of my adult life I have been studying the Indigenous
understanding of what is called the “Great Mystery” or “All That Is”, in my Nakota
(misnomer “Sioux”) Indigenous Red “Indian” Language, we say “All That” Is “
Wakan Tanka.”

 Contrary to the evolution/creationism people, the Nakota do not try to
decipher or ‘break down’ life but instead to learn throughout life to appreciate
the great gifts of Nature - which we are actually and factually a relative to
and part of. Without the Two-Legged “human being”, the Earth and beings of
Nature would get along just great, yet another ‘clue’ to be always thankful of
the Natural World we need.

 Nakota “spiritualism” consists very simply of Unci Maka “Grand Mother Earth”
 and Tunkasina Mahpiya “Grand Father Sky” which are Wakan Tanka – the “
Great Mystery.” The Nakota never worried about why the Sun came up and why the Sun
went down, but were instead thankful for each Sun rise and Sun set, a very
advanced way of thought, a manner of thinking now mostly, and unfortunately,
neglected and disregarded.

 During the recent influx of huge amounts of European “Christians” to my
homelands, Indigenous peoples were forced for many years to submit to the
god/creation society now prevalent in America. Most of the people I know today – red,
white, yellow, or black in skin tone (the four sacred colors of human kind)
believe in some type of “creator, higher power” or “god” concept. The “god”
idea was a man-made invention just ten thousand years ago that came
hand-in-hand with domesticated animals, money, male-dominating power and authority
desires, slavery, greed, and the denial of Earth and Grand Mother Grand Mother
Earth (the necessary and important female aspect of the family and community). All
colors of human kind knew the Earth to be round and had peaceful communities
and happiness before the “crusades” or the newfound marauding groups of
power-hungry conquistadors. The rest is history, so to speak.

 The rest of my acquaintances do not claim “god” have some type of “after
life” or reincarnation-type theory that they profess to - usually, nonetheless,
with some type of a “belief” and often a “higher power” lingering somewhere
in the background. In accordance with ancient Indigenous teachings, however,
it is the duty as two-legged human beings is to be just that – human beings.

 Recently, I have discovered within myself, that it is not necessary to have “
beliefs”, whether it be in science or religion, but instead “be” and live
every day in the moment and find contentedness, while understanding and
appreciating all the great gifts of Nature afforded to us each day from Earth and Sky.

 For eons, rare and sincere visions and dreams of individuals within
Indigenous communities were gifted from Wakan Tanka and were highly revered. These
similar gifts were afforded to all the races of human beings millions of years
ago (despite Adam and Eve or the monkey theory), and included such things as the
Fire, the Bow and Arrow, and the Tipi or home shelters.

 So why did Indigenous Red “Indian” Nations and Peoples live in such peace
prior to this “columbus era” (1492 to the present) upon Great Turtle Island “
western hemisphere” with no forts, fences, weapons of mass death and
destruction? They accomplished this by living in balance with Nature, respecting all
beings of Nature – thereby making it possible to respect and hold dear their
human relatives. Water was free and pure, and an individual simply had to hunt and
gather the fruits, vegetables, plants, and animals (and dry and prepare it
for winter months) needed for their life. Therefore Indigenous peoples were
thankful and appreciated even the tiniest drop of water, understandably a reason
why the Nakota word for water is MiNi or “My Life.”

 A most stress free life with no automobiles driving past homes and children
at forty miles an hour, no child molesters, no burglary, lying, cheating, mu
rder, rape, war; no old age homes, orphanages, or prisons ‘freed-up’ Indigenous
Peoples so that they could and did enjoy plenty of quality family and
community time for sharing and loving.

 Basic Laws of Nature and common sense principals kept a “moral compass” (as
referenced in the Times December 27 issue) intact for all Indigenous Peoples
long before columbus. Right and wrong was understood – without scientific or
religious jargon or man-made ideas and “laws”, which are only made for
societies of the lawless. Understanding Wakan Tanka also meant that the Earth was
known by Indigenous peoples as being round, just like the Sun and Moon – a fact
they so eagerly shared with Columbus. Truly a deep understanding of life on
Grand Mother Earth.

 There is a continuing struggle for the last of Indigenous resources like
coal and oil. Greedy corporations who control government policy have a desire for
lands – Indian “reservations” (formerly considered concentration camps) for
which to place toxic wastes upon. And because the United States already has
over nine trillion dollars worth of the Nakota People’s “Black Hills gold”
housed illegally as stolen property in Fort Knox Kentucky, ‘Indigenous information’
 is conveniently left out of “history” and replaced with such things as the “
tomahawk chop” or “Indians scalped.” When in fact, again, it was the early
Dutch colonists who began the bounty for the whole bodies, then the severed
heads, then finally just the black hair “redskin” scalps of the Indigenous men,
women and children - paid so eagerly by the early colonial governors.

 It is sometimes difficult to explain these facts to the average American, as
they have been instructed these stereotypes throughout their ‘schooling.’
When these facts are mentioned, too often a simple response - based in denial,
is “Oh you Indians used to kill each other, too!” Although claims of 100
million dead peaceful Indigenous Peoples at the hands of disease and the early
pilgrims, settlers, and Americans compares drastically to only 3 – 5 thousand
Europeans dead (the largest probably Custer at the Little Big Horn, a mere 200
fully battle-ready fighting troops) in just five hundred years does tell quite a
different story then what is ‘taught’ in American classrooms.

 How does the above relate to the “atheism/intelligent design/evolution”
discussion? My Nakota People conduct many thanksgiving ceremonial exercises
throughout the year, such as the Sun Dance – thanking the Day Sun (Sun) and Night
Sun (Moon) every Summer Solstice. The shortest day, Winter Solstice, of the
year was also recognized with the cleansing north Winds honored and excitement
for the ‘return’ of the Day Sun northward. The Sun warms and the Moon
facilitates the ocean currents and Sacred Time of the female.

 Tobacco is offered as thanksgiving to a Sacred Tree when having to take the
life and cut it down in order to construct our needed Tipi or house, as does
the same practice occur when the sacred life of all Plants and Animals taken by
our humanly needs. Lowly man, who would starve, be forced to survive, or
freeze to death without our superiors. The Sacred Tree does not have to kill to
live, nor does the Sacred Deer have to ‘make fire’ to live their lives; and
neither have to make jackets or blankets to cover themselves during the frigid
winter months, which qualities are, in fact, superior to humankind. Without
continual and sincere exercises in thankfulness by the two-legged, the ‘chain saw
is superior to the tree’ mentality overrides human common sense, which
self-destructive spiral is most dangerous for two-legged survival (let alone living)
upon Sacred Grand Mother Earth.

 The Natural World is superior to the human being; a fact which is contrary
to innuendos in the both the Christian bible which suggest man has “dominion”
over the earth and its creatures, as well as scientific theory. A
misunderstanding by Christian peoples and the scientific community is the misconception
that reason - versus instinct, is somehow a superior trait over Animals and
Nature. This confusion has led to great tragedies in nature and among human kind.

 It seems many people today are bound by fear. Some by a fear of dying and ‘
going to’ a place they call “heck” – a fear of the unknown. Yet should fear
be the deciding factor on what keeps some with their “moral compass” pointing
north, and what may keep them behaving? Might their lives instead be dictated
by love of Earth and Sky, and the great gifts of Nature, their relatives
ignored and abused?

 As far as the evolutionists go, hand-in-hand with the “intelligent designers”
, maybe they spend too much time thinking of ways to create things that
ultimately destroy Nature – our extended family. Today I am thankful to the
evolutionists and creationists and to the Northwest Arkansas Times which has allowed
me to weigh in on such an important issue.

 (Also, the “Folktales from Around the World” piece in the Times on the 27th
was very interesting also! I like your paper! Keep up the great work
Northwest Arkansas Times!!)

 In Unity To Protect
 Grand Mother Earth,

 Scott C. Barta
 Nakota Indigenous Red Nation
 Nakota Hills (“Sioux City, Iowa”)
 712-899-0763
 Scotttreaty at aol.com

 Scott C. Barta is a freelance writer from Sioux City, Iowa, and founder of
1851Treaty.com, a premiere website about the 1851 Treaty of Fort Laramie and
the true history of Indigenous Red Nations and Peoples.  His articles and
writings appear in such publications as the South Dakota Indian newspaper, the “
Lakota Journal”, and on numerous websites.