[Mb-civic] Testing Dutch tolerance - H.D.S. Greenway - Boston Globe Op-Ed

William Swiggard swiggard at comcast.net
Tue Feb 21 04:17:14 PST 2006

  Testing Dutch tolerance

By H.D.S. Greenway  |  February 21, 2006  |  The Boston Globe

BERLIN

WHEN IT comes to welcoming immigrants, the Dutch have long been among
the nicest guys in Europe. When the Jews were kicked out of Spain in
1492, the Dutch opened their doors to them when others didn't. When the
Pilgrims were in trouble in England, the Dutch took them in before they
sailed for America. In modern times, the ever-tolerant Dutch took in
guest workers and asylum seekers, many of them from Muslim countries,
and left them to their own devices. But now, as in other European
countries with large Muslim populations, the Dutch are having second
thoughts.

The events of Sept. 11, 2001, were especially shocking because so many
of the hijackers had lived in Europe. Could the Muslim minorities in
Europe be a Trojan horse? Madrid and London had their terrorist
bombings, but the trauma for Holland came with the 2004 murder of
filmmaker Theo van Gogh by a young Dutch Moroccan who objected to a film
van Gogh had made about Muslim mistreatment of women. How could this
have happened in Holland, and by a thoroughly integrated young man who
spoke fluent Dutch?

After 9/11, and especially after the van Gogh murder, some Dutchmen
began to say harsh things about their Muslim neighbors. Some mosques
were vandalized. One of the first to defend the Muslims of Holland was
Awraham Soetendorp, 63-year-old rabbi and founder of Holland's Jewish
Institute for Human Values, who has done as much to reach out to Muslims
as any cleric in Europe.

I met Soetendorp at the World Economic Forum in Switzerland last month,
and he told me that ''when a mosque is attacked, all places of worship
are attacked. When I hear slurs against Muslims I get the same
nauseating feeling in the stomach as when I hear anti-Semitic remarks. I
can feel a whole people and a religion of 1 billion people being
stigmatized," he said. ''We cannot commit that crime."

Today, Soetendorp works tirelessly trying to bring Muslims, Christians,
Jews -- and Buddhists and Hindus, too -- into interfaith dialogues,
dialogues that used to be considered marginal, but ''are now moving into
the center," he says. Some say that such dialogues may be among the best
defenses against the virus of extremism that has infected a tiny but
dangerous sliver of Muslim youth in Europe.

Some Muslims I have talked to believe they have something to learn from
Jews, who for the most part are better organized in their dealings with
governments, national and local, and have been more successful in
gaining official recognition and space for their religion than Muslims.

Apart from organizational skills, the Jews of Europe have something else
to inspire Muslim immigrants. For 2,000 years, Jews have stubbornly
maintained their faith and their community under tremendous pressure to
assimilate into the broader Christian world. For that they paid a
terrible price. Over the centuries, frightful persecutions and pogroms
have afflicted the Jews of Europe, culminating in the unparalleled
horrors of the 20th century. Yet they have hung onto their faith and
their traditions.

There is still anti-Semitism in Europe, some of it coming from Muslims
agitated by the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. But organized state
anti-Semitism is a thing of the past, and Muslims in Europe wish to
emulate the status that Jews have achieved.

As Soetendorp says: ''The Jewish community has been established in the
Netherlands since the 17th century, and, although it has not always been
easy, the Jews have shown, on the whole, that they can keep their
identity but remain good and loyal citizens of our country. The stronger
you are in your own identity, the more open you are to others."

This has resonance for European Muslims who want to keep their faith and
traditions, and yet be loyal citizens, in the secular countries they now
call home. For you can sense the pressure throughout Europe these days.
Why don't these people assimilate? If they don't want to be like us, why
do they come here?

For Soetendorp, this kind of talk has dangerous echoes. Yes, Holland has
been a tolerant country, he says, but in the early '40s when the Dutch
were under occupation, all of a sudden too many Dutchmen became
intolerant of the Jews among them. ''God forbid" that there should be a
major act of terrorism in Europe on the magnitude of 9/11, says
Soetendorp. For if there is, he fears, innocent Muslims would become
scapegoats and be ostracized as once were the Jews.

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/editorial_opinion/oped/articles/2006/02/21/testing_dutch_tolerance/