[Mb-civic] Tax Cut Lunacy - E. J. Dionne - Washigton Post Op-Ed

William Swiggard swiggard at comcast.net
Tue Feb 7 03:51:41 PST 2006

Tax Cut Lunacy

By E. J. Dionne Jr.
Tuesday, February 7, 2006; A21

The roots of our fiscal madness, on display once again yesterday with
the unveiling of President Bush's new budget and its deficit in excess
of $350 billion, were planted on Oct. 27, 1990.

Ironically, that's the day when the first President Bush embraced the
last genuinely bipartisan budget reduction package to include both tax
increases and spending cuts.

It can be seen in retrospect as one of Bush 41's admirable long-term
achievements. (Another, of course, was his success in driving Saddam
Hussein out of Kuwait.) In tandem with Bill Clinton's tax increases
three years later, the 1990 agreement set off a decade of fiscal
responsibility and exceptional economic growth.

But Bush 41 could not embrace his budget victory as a triumph, because
the agreement split his party and because he had won election just two
years earlier promising "no new taxes." So he backed away from his
achievement as soon as it was in hand.

There is something lovable about the way the elder, broccoli-phobic Bush
talks, and what he said on that late October day proved to be significant:

"I feel that every once in a while the president has to do something he
doesn't like and that is to compromise. . . . I can't say this is the
best thing that's happened to us since sliced bread or the elimination
of broccoli . . . . It has got some good things in it. But if we were
doing it my way . . . it would be very, very different. . . . So please
don't ask me to relive the agony of a budget agreement that I am glad is
signed and is now behind us."

Never again would the Republican Party compromise and "relive the agony
of a budget agreement" that involved tax increases. That is definitely
"behind us."

Ever since Bush 41's defeat in 1992, Republicans -- especially Bush 43
-- have committed themselves to the proposition that they will never,
ever cross the tax-cutting Republican right. Taxes will be cut in good
times and in bad. They will not be raised, no matter how much the
government decides to spend. If preserving Republican unity requires
throwing the entire cost of the war in Iraq onto the next generation, go
for it. Does the Pentagon need big spending increases? Fine, but don't
even think about paying for them with new taxes.

Tax cutting is now the idol of the Republican shrine.

And so far the party's theological attitude toward taxes has been amply
rewarded. When Clinton's tax increases went through in 1993, not a
single Republican -- not even one of those so-called moderates -- voted
for them. And because the benefits of the 1993 tax increases did not
start kicking in until later in the decade, the Democrats were routed in
the 1994 midterm elections.

Deficit hawks harp on the costs of programs for the elderly. The
retirement of the baby boomers will indeed be expensive, in large part
because of increases in health care spending. So some of the cuts in
Medicare reimbursements that Bush proposes in this year's budget might
make sense. But Bush's long-term spending cuts are dwarfed in this
budget by his proposed tax cuts, and Medicare reductions should not be
debated independently of their effect on the rest of the health care system.

Yet if Republicans suffer from Bush 41's tax increase trauma of 1990,
Democrats suffer from the Clinton health care trauma of 1994. Rational
discussion of our fiscal problems will be blocked as long as politicians
indulge their twin phobias about tax increases and comprehensive health
care solutions.

And sane budgeting will be impossible unless the sometimes
self-righteous deficit hawks get off their exquisitely nonpartisan Mount
Olympus and forcefully challenge the Republican Party's worship of tax cuts.

In particular, they should press moderate Republicans to act publicly on
what they know privately: No matter how much conservatives talk about
cutting spending, they will never cut enough to pay for their
extravagant tax reductions. That is the lesson of Monday's budget, and
of every budget this president has put forward since Sept. 11, 2001.

Bush 41 may have made campaign promises on taxes that he couldn't keep.
But when it came down to it, he held to what now seems like the
antiquated view that government should try to keep some balance between
what it spends and what it raises in taxes. That may not have been the
best idea since sliced bread or the elimination of broccoli, but it is
still a good idea.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/02/06/AR2006020601257.html