[Mb-civic] Activists on Right, GOP Lawmakers Divided on Spying - Washington Post

William Swiggard swiggard at comcast.net
Tue Feb 7 03:50:17 PST 2006

Activists on Right, GOP Lawmakers Divided on Spying
Privacy Concerns, Terror Fight at Odds

By Charles Babington
Washington Post Staff Writer
Tuesday, February 7, 2006; A04

Despite President Bush's warnings that public challenges to his domestic
surveillance program could help terrorists, congressional Republicans
and conservative activists are split on the issue and are showing no
signs of reconciling soon.

GOP lawmakers and political activists were nearly unanimous in backing
Bush on his Supreme Court nominations and Iraq war policy, but they are
divided on how to resolve the tension between two principles they hold
dear: avoiding government intrusion into private lives, and combating
terrorism. The rift became evident at yesterday's Senate Judiciary
Committee hearing into the surveillance program, and it may reemerge at
Thursday's intelligence committee hearing.

Bush and his allies have tried to squelch criticisms by suggesting that
it is virtually unpatriotic to question the program's legality.

"Our enemy is listening," Attorney General Alberto R. Gonzales told the
Judiciary Committee at the start of a day-long hearing into the National
Security Agency's warrantless monitoring of Americans' phone calls and
e-mails with foreign-based people suspected of terrorist ties. "And I
cannot help but wonder if they aren't . . . smiling at the prospect that
we might now disclose even more, or perhaps even unilaterally disarm
ourselves of a key tool in the war on terror."

Several Republican committee members joined Democrats in pressing
Gonzales to explain how the recently revealed surveillance program
complies with the 1978 Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act, which
provides for secret warrants to monitor communications involving
terrorism suspects.

"There are a lot of people who think you're wrong," the committee
chairman, Arlen Specter (R-Pa.), told Gonzales. Specter asked why
surveillance requests were not taken to the FISA court "as matter of
public confidence."

Gonzales doggedly defended the NSA program, but Specter said in a
late-afternoon interview that public uneasiness may force the
administration to give ground.

"The whole history of America is a history of balance," Specter said,
referring to security and civil liberties. "I think there's a chance the
administration might take up the idea of putting this whole issue before
the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court. . . . I think they are
seeing concerns in a lot of directions from all segments: Democrats and
Republicans in all shades of the political spectrum."

When Gonzales argues that the Constitution gives the president
undisputable powers to conduct warrantless surveillance despite a
statute aimed at requiring him to seek court approval, such an
interpretation "is not sound," Specter said in the interview. ". . .
He's smoking Dutch Cleanser."

Among those strongly backing Gonzales yesterday were Republican Sens.
Orrin G. Hatch (Utah), John Cornyn (Tex.) and Jeff Sessions (Ala.). "We
are not going hog wild restraining American liberties," Sessions told
Gonzales. "In fact, the trend has been to provide more and more
protections."

Some of the NSA program's sharpest critics have been libertarian groups,
such as the Cato Institute.

"The overriding issue that's at stake in these hearings is the stance of
the administration that they're going to decide in secrecy which laws
they're going to follow and which laws they can bypass," said Timothy
Lynch, director of Cato's project on criminal justice. Conservative Web
sites and blogs appear to be "fairly evenly divided" on the NSA program,
he said.

Sen. Lindsey O. Graham (R-S.C.) joined Specter in challenging Gonzales's
assertion that Congress implicitly approved the surveillance tactics
when it voted to authorize military force in combating terrorism shortly
after the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks.

"This 'statutory force resolution' argument that you're making is very
dangerous in terms of its application for the future," Graham told
Gonzales. "When I voted for it, I never envisioned that I was giving to
this president or any other president the ability to go around FISA
carte blanche."

Democrats making similar arguments have fallen under scathing attacks
from some GOP lawmakers. Pat Roberts (R-Kan.), chairman of the Senate
intelligence committee, put himself at odds with Specter last week after
his panel questioned the director of national intelligence and the CIA
director about the NSA program.

"I am concerned that some of my Democrat colleagues used this unique
public forum to make clear that they believe the gravest threat we face
is not Osama bin Laden and al Qaeda, but rather the president of the
United States," Roberts said.

He also issued a lengthy letter defending the administration's
arguments. With more congressional hearings on the NSA program scheduled
this month, Republicans may have to scurry to keep such rebukes from
targeting some of their own.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/02/06/AR2006020601463.html?nav=hcmodule