[Mb-civic] A lesson unlearned in El Salvador - Derrick Z. Jackson - Boston Globe Op-Ed

William Swiggard swiggard at comcast.net
Wed Apr 26 03:56:06 PDT 2006

  A lesson unlearned in El Salvador

By Derrick Z. Jackson  |  April 26, 2006  |  The Boston Globe

First of two parts
AS AUXILIARY bishop of San Salvador, Gregorio Rosa Chavez wonders if the
United States learned anything from its murderous meddling in his
nation. He remembers reading a magazine article shortly after the
terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, about how Americans surround
themselves with information but much of it ''frivolous and superfluous."
He said the article talked about how such shallow knowledge leads to US
foreign policy being based on the moment, ''only looking at our navel as
if the world ended at the border with Mexico."

Rosa Chavez wondered if the attacks would wake up the United States to
look beyond the navel. He wondered if Americans would truly begin to
ponder the question of ''Why do they hate us?" After the unprovoked
invasion of Iraq under false pretenses in 2003, the answer was a
terrible no.

''Pope John Paul called the war a 'defeat for humanity,' " Rosa Chavez
said. ''The pope gave his condolences to the American people for Sept.
11. But we also needed to enter a new understanding that we are one
world where we only have a future together if we get rid of barriers and
walls. Preemptive war makes no sense . . . I worry the US will have to
ask again, 'Why do they hate us?' "

Rosa Chavez was in Cambridge last week to receive the Romero Truth Award
from Centro Presente, a Latino immigrant advocacy organization. The
award is named for Oscar Arnulfo Romero, the Salvadoran archbishop who
was assassinated in 1980, presumably by a right-wing death squad. The
assassination was part of a 1980-1992 civil war between leftist
guerrillas and a US-backed right-wing government that resulted in at
least 75,000 deaths and thousands more disappeared.

Rosa Chavez said Iraq means that El Salvador is a lesson unlearned. The
Reagan and first Bush administrations gave the Salvadoran government $6
billion in economic and military aid during the war. Rosa Chavez and the
Catholic church condemned atrocities on both sides but was often
threatened by the government because its pleas for human rights for
peasants were seen as too far to the left.

No amount of killings mattered to anti-communist hard-liners in
Washington, not even the murders of four Maryknoll nuns from the United
States and six Jesuit priests. One such hard-liner was then-Defense
Secretary Dick Cheney. Intelligence documents released in 1993 indicated
that Cheney opposed attempts by members of Congress to withhold military
aid to El Salvador during that government's slothful investigation of
the murder of the priests. In a 1989 appearance on ABC's ''This Week
with David Brinkley," Cheney claimed there was ''no indication at all"
that the Salvadoran government or the army were involved.

Documents and soldier confessions in the mid- and late-1990s showed that
the killings of the priests and nuns were directly tied to the military,
and the Reagan administration suppressed and overlooked intelligence on
state-sponsored terror links. As late as 1990, US military officers were
training well-to-do Salvadorans linked to death squads.

A decade later, Vice President Cheney turned that legacy upside down,
trumping up discredited intelligence to invade Iraq. In the 2004 vice
presidential debate, he had the nerve to use El Salvador as an example
of what would happen in Afghanistan and Iraq. He boasted, ''we held free
elections. I was there as an observer on behalf of the Congress. . . .
And today El Salvador is a whale of a lot better because we held free
elections."

This is after he refused to ''observe" how we sponsored so many of the
75,000 deaths over the 12 years of the Reagan and first Bush
administrations.

Rosa Chavez, part of the religious vanguard that risked life for peace
and elections, remembers a whale of a lot more than Cheney, enough to
fear for the future of Iraq. He remembers US ambassadors denying witness
protection and cruelly interrogating courageous people who came forward
with information on the state-sponsored terror. ''It was really terrible
because (US) politics were not based on values and human rights," he
said. ''During the war, I had to receive many US delegations, and
frequently I got the impression they really did not care about the
people. It was painful.

''I would say the Salvadoran case is even worse than Iraq. In Iraq, the
US sent its army. In the Salvadoran case, the arms came from outside,
but the deaths are all Salvadorans."

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/editorial_opinion/oped/articles/2006/04/26/a_lesson_unlearned_in_el_salvador/