[Mb-civic] Tilting at Windmills - Anne Applebaum - Washington Post Op-Ed

William Swiggard swiggard at comcast.net
Wed Apr 19 02:22:14 PDT 2006

Tilting at Windmills
<>
By Anne Applebaum
The Washington Post
Wednesday, April 19, 2006; A17

"Look there, friend Sancho Panza, where thirty or more monstrous giants
rise up, all of whom I mean to engage in battle and slay, and with whose
spoils we shall begin to make our fortunes."

-- from "Don Quixote" by Miguel de Cervantes

To my eye, they are lovely: Graceful, delicate, white against green
grass and a blue sky. Last summer my children and I stopped specially to
watch a group of them, wheels turning in the breeze.

But to those who dislike them, the modern wind turbine is worse than
ugly. It is an aesthetic blight, a source of noise pollution, a murderer
of birds and bats. As for the still-young wind industry, it is "an
environmental plunderer, with its hirelings and parasites using a few
truths and the politics of wishful thinking to frame a house of lies."
Far from being clean and green, "corporate wind is yet another
extraction industry relying on false promises," a "poster child for
irresponsible development."

Such attacks -- those come from http://www.stopillwind.org/ , the Web
site of Maryland anti-wind activist Jon Boone -- are not atypical.
Similar language turns up on http://www.windwatch.org/ , on
http://www.windstop.org/ , and on a dozen other anti-wind sites, most
started by local groups opposed to a particular project. Their recent,
rapid proliferation is not an accident: After languishing for years on
the eco-fringe, wind energy has suddenly become mainstream. High oil
prices, natural gas shortages, better technology, fear of global
warming, state renewable-energy mandates and, yes, tax breaks have
finally made wind farms commercially viable as well as clean.
Traditional utility companies want to build them -- and thus the
traditional environmental movement (which supports wind energy) has
produced a handful of untraditional splinter groups that are trying to
stop them.

They may succeed. Already, activists and real estate developers have
stalled projects across Pennsylvania, West Virginia and New York. In
Western Maryland, a proposal to build wind turbines alongside a coal
mine, on a heavily logged mountaintop next to a transmission line, has
just been nixed by state officials who called it too environmentally
damaging. Along the coast of Nantucket, Mass. -- the only sufficiently
shallow spot on the New England coast -- a coalition of anti-wind groups
and summer homeowners, among them the Kennedy family, also seems set to
block Cape Wind, a planned offshore wind farm. Their well-funded
lobbying last month won them the attentions of Rep. Don Young
(R-Alaska), who, though normally an advocate of a state's right to its
own resources, has made an exception for Massachusetts and helped pass
an amendment designed to kill the project altogether.

The groups do have some arguments, ranging from the aesthetic -- if you
are bothered by the sight of wind turbines on a mountaintop, which I am
not (or, anyway, not when compared with the sight of a strip mine) -- to
the economic. They are right to note that wind will not soon replace
coal or gas, that wind isn't always as effective as supporters claim,
and that some people are going to make a lot of money out of it (though
some people make a lot of money out of coal, and indeed Nantucket summer
homes as well).

But they also reflect a deeper American malady. The problem plaguing new
energy developments is no longer NIMBYism, the "Not-In-My-Back-Yard"
movement. The problem now, as one wind-power executive puts it, is
BANANAism: "Build Absolutely Nothing Anywhere Near Anything." The
anti-wind brigade, fierce though it is, pales beside the opposition to
liquid natural gas terminals, and would fade entirely beside the mass
movement that will oppose a new nuclear power plant. Indeed, the
founders of Cape Wind say they embarked on the project in part because
public antipathy prevents most other utility investments in New England.

Still, energy projects don't even have to be viable to spark opposition:
Already, there are activists gearing up to fight the nascent biofuel
industry, on the grounds that fields of switch grass or cornstalks
needed to produce ethanol will replace rainforests and bucolic country
landscapes. Soon the nonexistent "hydrogen economy" will doubtless be
under attack as well. There's a lot of earnest, even bipartisan talk
nowadays about the need for clean, emissions-free energy. But are we
really ready, politically, to build any new energy sources at all?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/04/18/AR2006041801188.html?nav=hcmodule