[Mb-civic] How to Lose Your Job at a Saudi Newspaper - Fawaz Turki - Washington Post Op-Ed

William Swiggard swiggard at comcast.net
Sat Apr 15 07:31:42 PDT 2006

How to Lose Your Job at a Saudi Newspaper
<>
By Fawaz Turki
The Washington Post
Saturday, April 15, 2006; A15

I was unceremoniously fired this month by my Saudi newspaper, a leading
English-language daily called Arab News.

It didn't matter that I had been the senior columnist on the op-ed page
for nine years or that my work was quoted widely in the European and
American media, including this paper. What mattered was that I had
committed one of the three cardinal sins an Arab journalist must avoid
when working for the Arab press: I criticized the government.

The other two? Bringing up Islam as an issue and criticizing, by name,
political leaders in the Arab or Islamic world for their brazen
excesses, dismal failures and blatant abuses.

Never mind that a newspaper cheapens and debases the idea of the
journalistic enterprise when it enjoins its commentators against being
critical of the government that it is supposed to be a watchdog over.
Never mind the absurdity of preventing your contributors from touching
on the issue of Islam, a social ideology whose embrace by jihadists is
the top news story in the world today. And never mind that Arab society
-- a society that remains broken in body and spirit more than a
half-century after independence -- needs very much to engage in serious
self-assessment and to promote an open debate in the media among
intellectuals, academics, political analysts and others about why Arabs
have failed all these years to meet the challenges of modernity.

But those are the stringent, not to mention pathetic, rules that
determine how the Arab press conducts its business. You play by these
rules or you're cut off. The problem is that if stringing words together
is the only way you know how to make a living, you end up eating humble
pie and playing the game by whatever rules they set for you.

Sometimes all it takes is a phone call to someone high up in your paper
from a semi-literate government official who couldn't run a lunch
counter, or a fundamentalist imam who hasn't read a half-dozen decent
books in his life, or perhaps a disgruntled diplomat at a Muslim or Arab
embassy in Riyadh who didn't like what you had to say in your column
about his country. The result is the same: Your career is ruined.

Sometimes, if you're lucky, you will have an editorial page editor who
likes your work, and he'll cut you a bit of slack and lobby on your
behalf behind the scenes, often at the risk of losing his own job. But
even in this case, three strikes and you're out.

My first provocation was -- horror of horrors -- to criticize Egyptian
leader Hosni Mubarak after he cracked down on human rights activists
several years ago. My second occurred soon after the failure of the Camp
David accords when I called for the resignation of Yasser Arafat as head
of the Palestinian Authority.

My last was to write about the atrocities Indonesia had committed during
its occupation of East Timor from 1975 to 1999. For that transgression,
my Saudi paper showed no mercy. I was out the door. No questions asked,
no explanations given. You don't write about atrocities committed by an
Islamic government -- even when they're already documented in the
history books -- and hope to get away with it.

But this is not just the story of an Arab journalist losing his job. It
is a story with implications for the current American administration's
efforts to "introduce" the Arab countries to democracy, of which
independent, free media are a major building block.

What Arabs, including those masquerading as their newspaper editors,
have yet to learn is that a free press, a truly free press, is a moral
imperative in society. Subvert it, and you subvert the public's
sacrosanct right to know and a newspaper's traditional role to expose.
If the Western democracies work better than many others, it is because
to them the concept of accountability, expected from the head of state
on down, is a crucial function of their national ideology.

What Arabs have yet to learn, in addition to that, is that newspapers
are not published to advance the political preferences of proprietors,
or the commentary of subservient analysts who turn a blind eye to the
abuse of power by political leaders running their failed states.

Democracy may be a political system, but it is also a social ethos. How
responsive can a country be to such an ethos when its people have, for
generations, existed with an ethic of fear -- fear of originality, fear
of innovation, fear of spontaneity, fear of life itself -- and have had
instilled in them the need to accept orthodoxy, dependence and submission?

The Arab world today, sadly, remains a collection of disparate entities
ruled for the most part by authoritarian regimes that rely on coercion,
violence and terror to rule, and that demand from their citizens
submission, obedience and conformity. And that includes those citizens
who call themselves "journalists," to whom, by now, responsibility to
truth and logic has become irrelevant.

In this atmosphere, it is regarded as an example of reportorial acumen
to write on the op-ed pages of prominent Arab journals about how the
Sept. 11, 2001, attacks were the work of Israeli agents, how the death
of Princess Diana was the result of some diabolical plot by British
intelligence to end her life rather than see her married to an Arab
Muslim, how Monica Lewinsky was an agent-in-place, put in the White
House by the "Jewish lobby" -- and so on with other infantile whimsies.

For Arabs, there is still a great divide between word and world. You can
embrace conspiracy theories with impressive ease, and be accorded by
your editors the right to pontificate about any foolish thing you want,
but don't dare write about the malfeasance of political leaders in Egypt
and Palestine, or the atrocities of a fellow-Muslim government in East
Timor. The price you must pay for such offenses if you work for the Arab
press is heavy indeed.

Fawaz Turki is a journalist living in Washington and the author of
several books, including "The Disinherited: Journal of a Palestinian
Exile." His e-mail address is disinherited at yahoo.com.
<mailto:disinherited at yahoo.com.>

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/04/14/AR2006041401116.html