[Mb-civic] Bush Speaks Out for Rumsfeld - Washington Post

William Swiggard swiggard at comcast.net
Sat Apr 15 07:27:06 PDT 2006

Bush Speaks Out for Rumsfeld
'My Full Support' For Defense Chief

By Peter Baker and Josh White
Washington Post Staff Writers
Saturday, April 15, 2006; A01

President Bush interrupted his Easter vacation yesterday to offer an
unequivocal vote of confidence in Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld,
in a move aimed at countering a growing wave of criticism from retired
generals calling for the Pentagon chief to resign over his leadership of
the Iraq war.

In an unusual statement issued from Camp David, where he had already
retired for the weekend, Bush stepped directly into the debate over
Rumsfeld's performance to offer his "strong support" and make it clear
he will keep the embattled defense secretary. Rumsfeld separately
declared that he will not go.

"I have seen firsthand how Don relies upon our military commanders in
the field and at the Pentagon to make decisions about how best to
complete these missions" of fighting terrorists while simultaneously
transforming the military, Bush said. "Secretary Rumsfeld's energetic
and steady leadership is exactly what is needed at this critical period.
He has my full support and deepest appreciation."

The president's decision to interject himself so forcefully stands in
contrast to his mild reaction to recent reports of dissatisfaction with
Treasury Secretary John W. Snow and reflected a calculation by Bush and
his advisers that attacks on Rumsfeld by prominent former military
commanders strike at the heart of his presidency. As Bush's choice to
run the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, Rumsfeld serves as his proxy, and
most of the judgments that have come under fire were shared by the
president and Vice President Cheney as well.

Public support for the Iraq war and Bush's handling of it has been
evaporating in recent polls as the administration tries to prevent that
country from deteriorating into a broader sectarian conflict. White
House officials trying to arrest Bush's political fall have concluded
that Iraq, and the public perception of it, are central both to the
president's contemporary public standing and his ultimate legacy.

The defense of Rumsfeld in effect was the first act of new White House
Chief of Staff Joshua B. Bolten, who took over as Andrew H. Card Jr.
left the West Wing yesterday afternoon for the final time as Bush's top
aide. White House aides decided that press secretary Scott McClellan's
statement of support Thursday was inadequate to stem the growing chorus
of resignation calls from the military.

Rumsfeld, who twice offered Bush his resignation during the scandal over
detainee abuse at Abu Ghraib, made no such offer this time. "I respect
their views," he said in an interview taped Thursday and broadcast
yesterday on Al-Arabiya television, "but obviously out of thousands and
thousands of admirals and generals, if every time two or three people
disagreed, we changed the secretary of defense of the United States, it
would be like a merry-go-round."

The grievances aired by half a dozen retired flag officers in recent
days resonated with many military veterans. "I admire those who have
stepped forward, and I agree with the arguments they are making,"
retired Marine Lt. Gen. Paul K. Van Riper said in an interview
yesterday. "I count myself in the same camp."

Van Riper, a lifelong Republican who voted for Bush in 2000 but did not
vote in the 2004 election, said Rumsfeld has failed in a number of ways,
including "disastrous" war planning and execution and fostering a poor
command climate.

Retired Army Brig. Gen. Charles Brower, a military historian and deputy
superintendent at Virginia Military Institute, said it is unusual to see
such a group of retired generals issuing public criticism.

"Officers now feel that there is almost an obligation to speak more
openly about policies that they disagreed with once they have retired,"
Brower said. "There is now a group of officers who feel an obligation to
speak more aggressively, and I think that has to have been influenced by
the Vietnam experience," during which miscalculations by the civilian
leadership caused a military defeat and a years-long erosion in military
morale.

"It's an important thing happening right now, an important phenomenon
that's going on," Brower said.

What makes the recent criticism more threatening to the Bush
administration is the sense that it represents an unspoken strain of
thought among active-duty personnel. A poll of 944 troops serving in
Iraq released by Zogby International and LeMoyne College did not ask
about Rumsfeld but found that 72 percent think the United States should
withdraw within a year and more than a quarter think it should leave
immediately.

"That and other questions lead to the obvious conclusion that they're
not sure they're doing anything positive over there anymore," said
pollster John Zogby. "When it comes to the leadership, there seems to be
a disconnect."

Rumsfeld's admirers, though, characterized the complaining generals as
malcontents unhappy with the secretary's attempts to restructure the
armed forces for the 21st century. "Look, he's trying to change an
institution that is very set in its ways, and that's not easy," said
Richard N. Perle, former chairman of the Defense Policy Board. "You've
got some disgruntled former officers. It's no big deal."

Longtime Rumsfeld critics said the generals were speaking from genuine
concern. "They really are acting out of patriotism," said William
Kristol, editor of the conservative Weekly Standard. "This is not fun
for them. They're reluctant to step forward in this way, and for good
reason. . . . But I believe they're doing it because they believe that
Rumsfeld is endangering the course of U.S. foreign policy."

Retired Maj. Gen. John Batiste, who commanded the 1st Infantry Division
in Iraq, said there was no coordination among the generals who have
spoken out. "We have nothing to gain by this, absolutely nothing to gain
by this," he said on ABC's "Good Morning America." "There's no political
agenda at all. We've been loyal subordinates."

But analysts said that Bush cannot afford to let the generals' views go
unanswered. "It's a referendum on the centerpiece of the Bush
presidency," said Michael E. O'Hanlon, a defense scholar at the
Brookings Institution, who surmised that the notion of Rumsfeld being
pushed from office is "unthinkable to Bush."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/04/14/AR2006041401649.html?nav=hcmodule