[Mb-civic] Kennedy's Assault on Editorial Writers - Charles Lane - Washington Post Op-Ed

William Swiggard swiggard at comcast.net
Mon Apr 3 03:55:01 PDT 2006

Kennedy's Assault on Editorial Writers
<>By Charles Lane
The Washington Post
Monday, April 3, 2006; A17

Although the Supreme Court tries to make its opinions as clear and
convincing as possible, its decisions do occasionally come in for
criticism on the editorial pages of the nation's newspapers.

For the most part, the court has absorbed its negative reviews
stoically. But one justice, Anthony M. Kennedy, apparently has had
enough of the slings and arrows. Lately, he has been publicly lashing
out at editorialists who, he says, write as if they have not even read
the court's opinions.

Last week, he addressed the American Society of International Law in
Washington. In response to a question about how the organization could
enhance public understanding of the role of foreign law in Supreme Court
opinions -- a controversial topic of late -- Kennedy replied: "One thing
you can do is suggest to editorial writers that they read the opinions
before they write their editorials."

Daily news reporters, despite deadline pressure, do a reasonable job of
explaining what the court did, though "not why we did it," Kennedy
observed. But, he said, editorial writers, who "do not have the excuse
of time pressure," frequently "misinterpret" the court's reasoning.

It was the second time that Kennedy had publicly bashed editorialists
for not reading the court's words. He first made the charge at the
American Bar Association's symposium on the international rule of law in
November.

Kennedy cited no specific editorial or newspaper, so it was not clear
exactly what he had in mind. Editorial writers at major newspapers said
they were mystified.

Fred Hiatt, The Washington Post's editorial page editor, said that his
staff reads "all the court's opinions before writing our editorials. If
he thinks we've made mistakes, I'd love to hear from him."

"I wouldn't dream of writing an editorial about a Supreme Court opinion
without reading it," said Steve Chapman, who has been the Chicago
Tribune's editorialist on court issues for almost 20 years. Chapman says
he relies on the opinions for the facts of each case and the litigants'
legal arguments. "Maybe I'm weird, but I love reading Supreme Court
opinions," he said.

At the New York Times, Adam Cohen, a Harvard Law School graduate who
writes that paper's legal editorials, said, "I don't know who he's
referring to, but I don't think it would be fair if he's referring to
us." Cohen said he reads not only the opinions but the briefs in every case.

"It's kind of ironic, because I'm right now working on a piece about
Justice Kennedy, and I'm reading all of his opinions," Cohen added.

A Long-Shot Case Against Kissinger

It has been more than 32 years since Chile's armed forces toppled the
elected government of Marxist President Salvador Allende. But the
repercussions continue. The latest example: a long-shot Supreme Court
case against Henry A. Kissinger for alleged complicity in the murder of
a Chilean general.

In October 1970, Gen. Rene Schneider was commander in chief of the
Chilean army, but rightists considered him soft on Allende, who had not
yet taken office. He was killed during an attempted kidnapping by
coup-plotters who had previously received covert U.S. support at
then-national security adviser Kissinger's direction.

A Senate committee found in 1975 that U.S. support had been withdrawn by
the time of the murder, and that U.S. officials did not seek Schneider's
death.

Schneider's heirs, however, do not accept that account. On Sept. 10,
2001, they filed a wrongful death suit against Kissinger and former CIA
director Richard Helms (since deceased and dropped from the case) in the
U.S. District Court in Washington. Their complaint alleged that
Kissinger's "intentional acts were the proximate cause of Gen.
Schneider's death."

Lower courts have dismissed the case, ruling that it raises a "political
question" beyond the competence of the courts. But in their appeal to
the Supreme Court, which is on the agenda for the justices' April 14
conference, Schneider's sons Rene and Raul, and the personal
representative of his estate, Washington lawyer Jose Pertierra, argue
that the political question doctrine should not "preclude the
adjudication of violations of individual rights."

The Bush administration has taken up Kissinger's defense, because the
suit stems from allegations about his conduct while a U.S. official.
Solicitor General Paul D. Clement's brief urges the court to uphold
dismissal of the suit because it "would necessarily require a court to
evaluate the reasonableness of the President's broader decision, at the
height of the Cold War, to take actions to prevent a Marxist-led
government from taking power in Chile." Historians may never settle that
question. And, the administration argues, the courts should not try.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/04/02/AR2006040200841.html?nav=hcmodule