[Mb-civic] How We've Improved Intelligence - John A. Kringen - Washington Post Op-Ed

William Swiggard swiggard at comcast.net
Mon Apr 3 03:52:31 PDT 2006

How We've Improved Intelligence
Minimizing the Risk of 'Groupthink'
<>
By John A. Kringen
The Washington Post
Monday, April 3, 2006; A19

Nearly one year ago, President Bush's commission on weapons of mass
destruction released its report identifying shortcomings in the
intelligence community. Many of the commission's judgments dealt with
analysis, the discipline I lead at the CIA. The primary criticism was
that our analysts were "too wedded to their assumptions" and that our
tradecraft -- the way we analyze a subject and communicate our findings
-- needed strengthening.

We did not try to hide from the criticism or make excuses. Our
assessment of Saddam Hussein's WMD capabilities was flawed. The fact
that foreign intelligence services made similar errors in no way
absolved us of ours.

We in the Directorate of Intelligence (DI) have been intent on improving
our work by addressing the commission's recommendations -- and those of
several other self-initiated and external reviews -- head-on. We have
taken many steps in the past year to assure the president, Congress and
the American people that they can be confident in the integrity of our
assessments.

CIA Director Porter Goss has encouraged innovation and creativity in how
the CIA approaches its mission. In the DI, we have been diligent in
integrating fresh thinking and new perspectives into our analysis. Our
in-house training center, the Sherman Kent School, features lessons
learned from the Iraq WMD case; they are part of tradecraft courses
taken by our analysts, including every recruit entering the DI. Our
newest analysts -- and all first-line supervisors -- also have completed
classes on alternative analysis and other analytic techniques.

We have established analytic tradecraft units across the directorate,
including the office drafting our WMD assessments, that promote the use
of alternative and competitive analysis techniques. DI analysts
routinely engage academics and outside experts -- last year we did so
about 100 times a month at conferences or informal meetings -- to test
hypotheses and minimize the potential for being ensnared by
"groupthink." And we have a staff that routinely evaluates the quality
of our assessments.

We have enhanced the precision and transparency of our written products,
making a point of stating clearly and upfront what we know -- and what
we don't. Our analysts now offer policymakers greater context on
sourcing, including an intelligence asset's access and biases, thanks to
increased information-sharing between the DI and the National
Clandestine Service. A computerized system for identifying recalled or
modified raw intelligence reports alerts analysts to sources whose
information is determined to be faulty.

When Porter Goss selected me as director of intelligence, he expressed
his concern that for too long we had concentrated on satisfying the
daily demand for current intelligence assessments to the detriment of
preparing for the strategic threats and opportunities of tomorrow. What
are the implications of rapid advances in technology for U.S. national
security? What are the challenges and opportunities posed by Islamic
political activism in the Middle East and South Asia? Is there another
A.Q. Khan proliferation network out there?

The DI's strategic research program for fiscal 2006 focuses on
identifying and assessing long-term trends and emerging foreign threats
that go beyond today's headlines. DI analysts also participate heavily
in long-term analytic projects led by our colleagues in the intelligence
community, especially the National Intelligence Council. The benefit is
clear: Our policymakers will have a better idea of what might lie over
the horizon.

Even as we strengthen our strategic analytical capabilities, we continue
to be the principal source for current intelligence analysis that the
director of national intelligence provides to our most senior
policymakers. Not only are we helping to staff important DNI components,
but DI analysts are also in demand throughout the intelligence community.

The DI is building bench strength with highly qualified recruits to meet
the demands of strategic global coverage. We brought in more new
analysts in fiscal 2005 than in any year in our history, breaking our
previous record by more than 50 percent. More important than the
numbers, however, are the education and life experiences our employees
bring to the job. Half of our applicants in process claim
fluent-to-native capacity in a foreign language, and many have spent
significant time in their region of specialty.

Above all, we seek to foster in each analyst a sense of individual
initiative, responsibility and ownership, as well as the recognition
that providing analysis vital to our national security requires
challenging orthodoxy and constantly testing our assumptions. Mastering
the fundamentals of tradecraft and building expertise are critical, but
we also must aspire to a level of creativity and insight that allows us
to look beyond the obvious and flag the unexpected. Only then can we
truly fulfill our obligation to help protect the American people.

The writer is director of intelligence at the Central Intelligence Agency.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/04/02/AR2006040201094.html