[Mb-civic] Our endangered siblings - Richard Leakey - Boston Globe

William Swiggard swiggard at comcast.net
Fri Sep 23 04:03:47 PDT 2005

Our endangered siblings

By Richard Leakey  |  September 22, 2005

I HAVE always felt that an injustice was done when science classified
different species on earth, because it was done by an interested party.
Had humanity not been the interested party, we would have been the fifth
great ape.

We are not different from the great apes in any significant way. When we
regard chimpanzees, orangutans, gorillas, or bonobos, we are looking at
a family member.

As recently revealed, the genetic makeup of chimpanzees and humans is
virtually identical, and the apes' evolutionary divergence from mankind
is almost irrelevant in chronological terms.

Years of research has revealed that the great apes make tools,
self-medicate, possess activities for culture and language-like
communications, practice stress relief and conflict management, and even
wage war. They mourn, envy, laugh, console, resent, and reconcile, and
their emotions and personalities are so evocative of humanity that
recent studies have focused on relatively mundane aspects such as
whether chimpanzees are naturally right-handed.

But at a time when humanity is beset by tsunamis, hurricanes, famine,
drought, and other byproducts of climate change -- in addition to
man-made conflicts around the globe -- it is worth considering the
precarious situation facing the great apes. Simply stated, some species
could be extinct in the wild within 25 years, and all four could vanish
within my granddaughter's lifetime.

Chimpanzees have already disappeared from four countries where they once
thrived, and a great ape atlas released this month by the United Nations
Great Apes Survival Project revealed that the natural habitats of most
great apes are compromised by human encroachment and extractive
industries such as logging and mining. It is no accident that the
shrinking equatorial forests across Africa and Asia parallel the
disappearance of the great apes themselves; like the residents of the
Gulf Coast in America, the great apes are increasingly homeless. Even
where their forests survive, they often are intensely hunted.

The one way in which we are better than apes is in our minds, so it's
time to use them. Representatives from 21 African and Asian nations met
this month in the Democratic Republic of Congo's capital, Kinshasa, to
sign the Declaration on Great Apes, the first UN-level document that
commits the countries in which great apes live to protecting them.
Organized by the Great Apes Survival Project, a unique partnership
between nations, donors, scientists, and supporters, the declaration may
be the best, last hope the great apes will have.

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/editorial_opinion/oped/articles/2005/09/22/our_endangered_siblings/