[Mb-civic] Profiling soles - William F.S. Miles - Boston Globe

William Swiggard swiggard at comcast.net
Fri Sep 23 04:02:02 PDT 2005

Profiling soles

By William F.S. Miles  |  September 23, 2005

MAYBE IT was just plain laziness, or a sudden rush of perversity, but
when an airport screener directed me to remove my sneakers before
passing through the metal detector, I politely declined. On account of
the careful wording she used, I knew I was within my rights. ''You
should remove them," she'd said just a tad menacingly, ''to avoid
secondary screening." She did not say, ''You have to take them off."

The unstated message was this: Federal regulations do not require
removal of footgear at the initial airport security check. A passenger
has a right to pass through the X-ray machine fully shod. But a suspect
shoe eventually entails more work for the screeners. Though the
screeners' mission may be our protection, when it comes to the trade-off
between their convenience and ours, guess who comes first.

So airport screeners exert subtle (and not so subtle) pressure on
anxious airline passengers to voluntarily renounce yet another civil
right: the right to remain fully clothed until found footwear suspect.

As the screener had warned me, I was immediately subject to what in
airport security argot is known as ''secondary": the wands, the pat
down, and, yes, the inevitable denuding of my feet. The secondary
screener -- once he arrived -- was polite to a fault. It was the
security gate minder who, before calling for ''secondary," gave me my
Richard Reid eureka moment. When I asked the agent if my Avias had
indeed set off the machine, he replied, matter-of-factly: ''It's not
that. Your shoes have a profile."

So that's the compromise between security and liberty to which we have
been reduced. Ethnic profiling and racial profiling are out. Honed
intuition and common sense are unconstitutional. At the security gate,
agents of the Transportation Security Administration discriminate not a
wit between American white-haired grandmothers in wheelchairs and Saudi
young males on transit visas. Instead of experienced security analysts,
we rely on random computer lotteries to decide who gets yanked from line
for random body searches. We cannot profile people. Instead, we profile
shoes.

Now, don't get me wrong. As a frequent flier, I am all in favor of tight
airport security. As a Kerry-Gore-Dukakis voter, I also admit to a civil
liberty bias. But I want a rational, human, reflective system when we
choose to fly America's skies. Not lotto software and shoe profilers.

I want screening machines that can look into your soles as well as they
do the rest of your body. Until then, I'll settle for a transparent shoe
removal rule: no more of this ''You'll be better off (and we'll have
less to do) if you take them off right now" business. I want the shame
and indignity of random body searches of the elderly to cease.

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/editorial_opinion/oped/articles/2005/09/23/profiling_soles/