[Mb-civic] Edwards got it right about poverty - Thomas Oliphant - Boston Globe

William Swiggard swiggard at comcast.net
Tue Sep 20 04:19:19 PDT 2005

Edwards got it right about poverty

By Thomas Oliphant  |  September 20, 2005

WASHINGTON
IN ANY COLLECTION of Americans who have earned the right to say I told
you so, John Edwards should make every short list.

But, in character, last year's Democratic vice presidential nominee
passed up a nice chance to do that yesterday.

Instead, the person who insisted on pressing the country's diseased
political culture to confront the moral issue of poverty long before
Hurricane Katrina struck the Gulf Coast used some nice spotlight time to
continue pressing.

Edwards was right in saying at the Center for American Progress that
Katrina not only exposed America's dirty secret but presented a
''historic moment" when it is clear the country is ready to support
action but is short on the leadership that can prompt it.

In a clue to his instinctive understanding of poverty, Edwards's summary
of first principles includes the central concept (I first heard it from
Hubert Humphrey on the subject of civil rights some 40 years ago) that
confronting poverty is not something ''we" do for ''them."

''This is something we do for us -- for all of us. It makes us stronger;
it makes us better," he said.

On Edwards's website, the One America Committee -- the idealistic
synthesis for the sad, contemporary reality of the Two Americas he made
famous -- there is a major plug for a very simple idea. Raising the
minimum wage, after nearly a decade of stagnation, is the most obvious,
but also dramatic, poverty-fighting step the country could take.

Another would be at least a doubling of the earned income tax credit, in
effect a rebate for those with incomes too low to expose them to the
income tax.

These simple ideas flow from a basic fact of modern life that is much
too frequently forgotten -- nearly all officially poor people work full
time.

''Nobody who works full-time should have to raise children in poverty or
in fear that one health emergency or pink slip will drive them over the
cliff," said Edwards.

Instead of Newt Gingrich's Conservative Opportunity Society or President
Bush's even more narrow-minded Ownership Society, Edwards's conceptual
framework surrounds the country most of us know every day: a Working
Society. Bill Clinton famously aimed his 1992 presidential campaign at
the Americans willing to ''work hard and play by the rules," and in the
1990s there was finally some progress in what have to be the twin
objectives of national policy -- promoting vigorous economic growth and
making long-delayed progress against poverty.

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/editorial_opinion/oped/articles/2005/09/20/edwards_got_it_right_about_poverty/