[Mb-civic] Bush's uncaring tax-cut math - Derrick Z. Jackson - Boston Globe

William Swiggard swiggard at comcast.net
Tue Sep 20 04:17:54 PDT 2005

Bush's uncaring tax-cut math

By Derrick Z. Jackson, Globe Columnist  |  September 20, 2005

WE HAVE two wars abroad. Moreover, we must rebuild a Gulf Coast region
so thoroughly devastated that had the destruction come from human
hostilities, we would have declared a third war. Yet President Bush
pretends in a critical way as if nothing happened at all.

''You bet, it's going to cost money,'' Bush told reporters last Friday.
''But I'm confident we can handle it, and I'm confident we can handle
our other priorities. It's going to mean that we're going to have to
make sure we cut unnecessary spending. It's going to mean we don't do --
we've got to maintain economic growth, and therefore we should not raise
taxes.''

Bush then hid behind a familiar prop of politicians: the common person.
''Working people have had to pay a tax, in essence, by higher gasoline
prices,'' Bush said. ''And we don't need to be taking more money out of
their pocket.''

What Bush really meant was better said by White House spokesman Scott
McClellan. On Sept. 8, a day after White House requests for emergency
aid in the wake of Hurricane Katrina soared past $62 billion, McClellan
was asked, ''Why does the president believe it is morally justified, why
is it the right thing, to give some of the richest people on the planet
a huge tax cut right now?''

McClellan said, ''It's not a fair description.''

The questioner persisted, ''Why at this point in our history is it
justified, morally right, to do this?''

McClellan answered, ''First of all, I'd have to dispute your
characterization, because all Americans have received tax cuts.... We've
made tremendous progress to keep our economy growing.''

The questioner said, ''And there's no way to ask the richest people in
America to sacrifice.''

McClellan said, ''Keeping our economy growing stronger is important to
helping with the rebuilding and recovery efforts on the ground. The last
thing we want to do is take more money from lower-income Americans that
have been affected by this and have received significant help from those
-- from those tax cuts."

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/editorial_opinion/oped/articles/2005/09/20/bush146s_uncaring_tax_cut_math/